growing vines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lee1983

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
thinking of attempting to grow some vines in my forest tank. I was going to tie java moss onto string until it roots and attatch it with suction cups has anybody tried anything like this before and how well did it go and will string leech any dye/toxins into my tank

if you have a 100% cotton undyed string should be fine.... also java moss woudnt be good for "vines" it tends to spread out as its grows so constant up keep would be a must.... as another option small marimo balls threaded on a string and let grow for a while then trim the mass off marimo on a string to a vine like shape marimo wont attach to the string persay but threading it like beads works...also it only grows round cuz it gets rolled around by fish if marimo doesnt move it grows fairly flat

similar idea but i was going to sew java to string with a sucker on either end and let it droop into the water although i might borrow your snail shell idea too now i've seen it. seems like java will grow anywhere

similar idea but i was going to sew java to string with a sucker on either end and let it droop into the water although i might borrow your snail shell idea too now i've seen it. seems like java will grow anywhere
haha yeah its invincible lol,i think ur idea would work,i may try something like it on the divider in my 10

i had a totaly other idea of vines like a thick jungle looking vine not just some java moss hangin down....getting a floating plant like giant water sprite or frogbite give you that realy cool roots hanging down look some of the roots can get up to 4" or so

I actually have been planning to try this myself except I'm going to use nylon rope and weave the java moss through it. A 3 twist nylon rope, untwist and weave in the moss, re-twist and it should work.

To bend into shapes I was going to find some lead wire to feed through the twist as well.

lead is unsafe for fish tanks so is nylon it decomposes and puts harmfull chemicals in the water that kill your fish.... just saying

i used gardening string i gave it a quick boil to see if anything came out nothing did so i stitched some moss to it and i attatched it to the inside of the hood to drop into my water and sways around with the current if it grows well and dosent fall apart il add more

Attachments

• DSCF4724.jpg
    DSCF4724.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 122
lead is unsafe for fish tanks so is nylon it decomposes and puts harmfull chemicals in the water that kill your fish.... just saying

They sell lead weights to hold your plants.

And nylon is used as spawning mops for some species of fish.

If you google "is nylon rope aquarium safe" you'll see many answers to the affirmative.

They sell lead weights to hold your plants.

And nylon is used as spawning mops for some species of fish.

If you google "is nylon rope aquarium safe" you'll see many answers to the affirmative.
i can see nylon being safe,but until i see some evidince that lead is safe i wouldnt trust it

Back
Top Bottom