Guppies and live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fromthelbc

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, i was wondering if my guppies would destroy live plants if i put them in there... i plan on changing my undergravel filter to a power filter, and putting in some lighting and some very small drift wood...its all in a 2.5 gallon tank....

you'll get the advantage of getting the guppy fry to hide in the plants!

That could also be a disadvantage... like in my case! LOL! Actually, I've made it through the guppy explosion. You won't have any problems with the guppies and plants. They do occasionally like to pick at my Java Moss but that is about it.

hehe. that's true. But I guess the person who started the thread would be pleased to get a guppy boom :D

I hope you are taking out the undergravel filter plates and all. Plants do not due well with UGF.

thats not 100% true. where plants do become a pain with ugf is trying to remove them since often the roots go down into the plants. plus they didnt say what type of plants they will be using. could simply be some anubias and moss tied to a rock or wood.

thats not 100% true. where plants do become a pain with ugf is trying to remove them since often the roots go down into the plants. plus they didnt say what type of plants they will be using. could simply be some anubias and moss tied to a rock or wood.
I agree. Had some bad time, untying(or simply forcing :p) vallisneria roots out of the ugf plantes.

okay guys, got the filter, and got the light, and i took 2 plants from my friends pond....

whats the back plant...?

Attachments

• 105_0054.jpg
    105_0054.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 61
oh, the lights a 7w 7200k, and the filter is a tetra 1-3g intank filter... i wanted the power filter, but it was 5 dollars more, and i didnt have the money for it...and they were out... so maybe if i upgade my tank... i'll pick one up....

anacharis left java fern right i looks like. pull the java fern out of the substrate. the rhizome should never be buried.

anacharis left java fern right i looks like. pull the java fern out of the substrate. the rhizome should never be buried.

its just resting in a pit... its not buried... i had the anarchis buried, but it floated.... do you guys think i could fit a a couple neon tetras in there? theres 6 guppies in it right now....

Always thorougly check any plant you remove from a pond. It may contain unwanted things(eg a dragonfly larva)

Always thorougly check any plant you remove from a pond. It may contain unwanted things(eg a dragonfly larva)

it was in the pond for like 2 weeks, the ammonia levels in the pond were out of control, so we decided to do a water change, and took a couple plants out so i could grow them, the guppies nipping the java fern and the anarchis, do you guys think i could fit like 2-5 neon tetras in my tank? i've been wanting those things since i was a child...

Ammonia out of control?? In a pond?? The water would have turned green and eat up all ammonia and nitrites. Is it a new pond?

Anyway, if you want neons, you can add some(they are schooling fish, you'll need at least six which i don't recommend due to the small tank). The biological load might get up quickly if you overfeed.
Did you cycle the tank?

+ you should make some allowance for guppy fry(maybe invest in another small tank)

invest in a larger tank lol. 10-20 gallon will give you plenty of room for neons and guppies.

i have a 10 gallon with guppies in it, its in my garage, i want neon tetras on my desk... i also have a 55 gallon set up for cycling right now...

Back
Top Bottom