Hagen Natural Co2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Please don't move this post, I know it's a product review, but it belongs with planted tanks, should get more hits.

I like this product! Picked up 2 last week been using them in my new 20 and my old 45. I really like the reactor, its zig-zag design lets you see the co2 dissipating! the bubbles are big at the bottom, and by the time they reach the top of the reactor, are very small, so you have visual evidence that the co2 was absorbed into the water. cool!

Also, the cannister has agood design, and the packets of activator and stabilizer make it easy for anyone to use. I had a good rate of bubbles within 24 hours (8-10 bubbles per minute). It is supposed to last 3-4 weeks, which is longer than my diy co2 used to.

Not using the reactor in my 20 hex, it stood out too much, was distracting from plants. Also, I have a HOT magnum on there, so I run the co2 right into it, it works as a reactor.

Bearfan, d9hp, you guys use this system, got anything to add?

Is the C02 output adjustable or is it similar to the DIY systems in that it puts out a given amount that slowly tapers off. Are the refills expensive?
Logan J

Its not adjustable, but the stablizer ingredient is supposed to make it last longer and steadier. I believe the stabilizer is good old baking soda!

Refills 3 for 5 bucks, if i recall price corectly, and you must supply your own sugar. When my refills run out, i'm going to make my own, as I've seen some interesting recipes for diy co2 on some other boards.

Yes, Thats what I do is make my own I have the same unit, great little device, if you look on the reactor you can set where you put the line tube I have mine 4 up from the bottom in the 10 gallon just so it gives it less c02.
its definatly welll worth the few bucks it costs, and saves on the time of DIY.

Chris

1 cup Sugar, 1/8 teaspoon yeast with 1/2 a pinch of baking soda then I top off with luke warm water. its pretty simple to make.

Chris.

I found this system to be good as well...
I would have liked to be a little better flow control but I think that might be something I can rig up to it. :wink:

Well, I have found one negative, snails. some of those dumb @#$^@ snails keep crawling into the reactor and stopping the bubbles. Time for a snail devastation in a couple tanks. :lol:

The one on my hex tank is really cranking right now, plants are pearling, which i didn't expect with diy co2.

Well that is the same stuff in the Hagen packets just that you pay way less for it when you don't pay for the packaging lol.

Chris

Hey about the CO2 systems, like Hagens, in the canister, does it also come with an inner heater, to keep the canister at lukewarm temps in case of chilly nights? Thanks :D

Hey about the CO2 systems, like Hagens, in the canister, does it also come with an inner heater, to keep the canister at lukewarm temps in case of chilly nights? Thanks

No its a totally natural process, once going it wont stop untill it runs out of sugar, then you mix a new batch. no electricity or pressure system involved. Inside your house shouldnt get cold enought to stop iit.

it seems to be a thick material it may be insulated??
I'm sure a chilly night in Florida wouldn't be all that chilly :wink:
Chris.

Haha true, but you would be surprised, freakin' roomates of mine like to turn the temp down to 57 degrees!!!! that can't be too friendly for the yeast!

True, but it also is designed to hang on the tank, so it shouldnt get too cold, snug up against the glass.

57 degrees! I'm an AC freak and i never turn it that low!

Back
Top Bottom