Happening to leafs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's wrong with it?? Just did PWC parameter weren't the best so I did one. Have 2 inca snails in tank.

What are the stats for you tank? Light, ferts, parameters, etc? What plants do you have? You didn't even tell us what that plant is? We really need more to go on.

Looks like its melting to me.

aqua_chem said:
What are the stats for you tank? Light, ferts, parameters, etc? What plants do you have? You didn't even tell us what that plant is? We really need more to go on.

Looks like its melting to me.

I tried to ID plant on thread didn't figure it out... Got nitrates and nitrites to 0!! Were in 20's. Ammonia -0 PH-7.5 I have LEDs from marineland and also have maybe some swords with that plant. Doesnt get that much light or sunlight.

mfdrookie516 said:
That's one of the plants I told you I was pretty sure was a non aquatic... which I believe even more now that it's looking like that.

All the plants I get end up getting are non-aquatic at places I go to :( they say a really long name tag for it and it ends up not being it. My ribbon plant I took out before wilted within a 4-5 days. I watered it everyday too. I'm not very good at keeping any plants!!

All the skillz in the world aren't going to matter if you are putting non aquatics in your tank. Your best bet would be to research the plants you are interested in, and determine their suitability for your setup before purchasing. Rather than rely on your LFS, which sounds as if it is not reliable at all, at least for live plants, check out sites like AquaBid.com - Sell or buy aquarium related equipment and fish in an auction format! and purchase your plants over the internet. They are far cheaper that way, and plants ship with no issues.

fort384 said:
All the skillz in the world aren't going to matter if you are putting non aquatics in your tank. Your best bet would be to research the plants you are interested in, and determine their suitability for your setup before purchasing. Rather than rely on your LFS, which sounds as if it is not reliable at all, at least for live plants, check out sites like AquaBid.com - Sell or buy aquarium related equipment and fish in an auction format! and purchase your plants over the internet. They are far cheaper that way, and plants ship with no issues.

I only thought as aquabid as a fish auction and they all have expensive cheaping! Research is your best friend-mumma so thanks for the advice!! I just want to do beginner plants now until I can keep a plant alive for a couple months.

There are lots of live plants on aquabid too - and the cost of priority shipping and plants is still usually less than what you can pay in a LFS... plus the plants will be aquatic... so that is a plus ;)

fort384 said:
There are lots of live plants on aquabid too - and the cost of priority shipping and plants is still usually less than what you can pay in a LFS... plus the plants will be aquatic... so that is a plus ;)

That's great! Do you have to let your plant get use to the water before adding it?? I looked at pics of your tanks (sorry to be stalking your profile) and I loved your planted tanks!

Most beginner and common aquarium plants do not require any kind of acclimation. They are widely adaptable to most water parameters. Only some of the more rare and extremely difficult plants require acclimation and specific water parameters.

Thanks for the kind words on my tanks!

fort384 said:
Most beginner and common aquarium plants do not require any kind of acclimation. They are widely adaptable to most water parameters. Only some of the more rare and extremely difficult plants require acclimation and specific water parameters.

Thanks for the kind words on my tanks!

Great thanks for all the help!!

I bought from plantedaquariumscentral and they were fantastic!

I got the discus package ($89... Yikes). But reasonably priced if you just want a few.

Andysol said:
I bought from plantedaquariumscentral and they were fantastic!

I got the discus package ($89... Yikes). But reasonably priced if you just want a few.

:D how much??

Yeah... I know. Great plants and a lot of them = a lot of money. :(. They're all rocking though and tank looks good. :)

Go to their webpage. I think it's plantedaquariumscentral.com

Interestingly- I didn't get one snail.

Fishie said:
All the plants I get end up getting are non-aquatic at places I go to :( they say a really long name tag for it and it ends up not being it. My ribbon plant I took out before wilted within a 4-5 days. I watered it everyday too. I'm not very good at keeping any plants!!

Sounds like me! My greatest achievement with a plant has been a 5 year old cactus. Then it kind of rotted from the inside and hollowed out. Which is why I generally stick to java fern in my tanks. If you want something easy and pretty, java fern is pretty impossible to kill. I even have a couple putting off baby plants in my brackish tank! It can take just about any water you can throw at it other than full saltwater.

Andysol said:
Yeah... I know. Great plants and a lot of them = a lot of money. :(. They're all rocking though and tank looks good. :)

Go to their webpage. I think it's plantedaquariumscentral.com

Interestingly- I didn't get one snail.

Great thanks I will be lookin!!

Alyxx said:
Sounds like me! My greatest achievement with a plant has been a 5 year old cactus. Then it kind of rotted from the inside and hollowed out. Which is why I generally stick to java fern in my tanks. If you want something easy and pretty, java fern is pretty impossible to kill. I even have a couple putting off baby plants in my brackish tank! It can take just about any water you can throw at it other than full saltwater.

I tried almost every plant longest one lived was almost a year day away :( I was lookin at java fern on aquabid prices looked reasonable! Plant trimmings though can you replant those to grow?? Where do you get your java fern and what's average cost of it??? Need little more research and I might buy should have 50$ for fish stuff by Monday!!

You could post a wanted to buy ad in the classifieds forum here. Lotsa folks will almost give java ferns away since they are so prolific. HN1 and Severum Mama might also have some available (they get low light plants in from time to time). You could PM 1 of them and see what they might have in stock.

I agree that Java ferns would be a good starter plant. They are pretty robust even in less than ideal conditions.

Fishie said:
I tried almost every plant longest one lived was almost a year day away :( I was lookin at java fern on aquabid prices looked reasonable! Plant trimmings though can you replant those to grow?? Where do you get your java fern and what's average cost of it??? Need little more research and I might buy should have 50$ for fish stuff by Monday!!

I got one java fern at petsmart for about $6 and I ordered two off of eBay for about the same price, including shipping. They came all the way from Hong Kong in maybe a week and were in great shape, still doing fine other than the little bites the puffers have taken out of them, almost looks like I took a hole punch to the leaves... And java ferns let off little "fernlets" when they are doing ok, so you should eventually end up with a few more small ones.

fort384 said:
You could post a wanted to buy ad in the classifieds forum here. Lotsa folks will almost give java ferns away since they are so prolific. HN1 and Severum Mama might also have some available (they get low light plants in from time to time). You could PM 1 of them and see what they might have in stock.

I agree that Java ferns would be a good starter plant. They are pretty robust even in less than ideal conditions.

Great going to post in classified right now :D actually got money too!

Back
Top Bottom