Guppy grass problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saiwong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I recently got some guppy grass after hearing how easy it was to grow.
However I found it didn't grow but just turned brown and died.

I tried again but purchased from another suppier, but the same thing is happening. I did move some to new quarenteen tanks. They arn't dying but arn't growing either. I've added fertiliser but its not helping them to grow.

So asking the forum if anyone else had problems and how you fixed it.

Hello,

I recently got some guppy grass after hearing how easy it was to grow.
However I found it didn't grow but just turned brown and died.

I tried again but purchased from another suppier, but the same thing is happening. I did move some to new quarenteen tanks. They arn't dying but arn't growing either. I've added fertiliser but its not helping them to grow.

So asking the forum if anyone else had problems and how you fixed it.

What is the temperature, Ph and GH of both tanks? How long have you had the plant? What kind of lighting ( low, medium or high) do you have the plant under?

PH 6.5
GH 17

Temp 76F

As for lighting I just use the lights that came with the aquarium.
One tank is the Tetra Starter Line 80litre
The other tank I inherited from a friend that he built himself so don't have any details on the lights.

I generally put on the light just for a couple of hours a day

I did place some guppy grass in glass jar by window sill to get full day of light, bot it too is going brown

The fert I use is Aquadip

PH 6.5
GH 17

Temp 76F

As for lighting I just use the lights that came with the aquarium.
One tank is the Tetra Starter Line 80litre
The other tank I inherited from a friend that he built himself so don't have any details on the lights.

I generally put on the light just for a couple of hours a day

I did place some guppy grass in glass jar by window sill to get full day of light, bot it too is going brown

The fert I use is Aquadip

You really shouldn't need to use ferts for Guppy Grass. If you have some nitrate in the water from the fish or other life, that should suffice. When it comes to lighting, it's not about the amount of hours of light but the spectrum of light the plants are under. The issues sounds like the plant is getting burned from the sunlight or light spectrum or it's turning brown due to not enough light hours. Under the right light spectrum ( 4000 – 6700k full spectrum light ), the light should be kept on 8-10 hours to help keep it green.

What I would do is ask the place you get the Guppy Grass from what their water parameters are and try to match that unless it's drastically different from yours. When plants are moved to different water parameters, there will be some die back until the plant adjusts to the new water. If you want to give it another try, ask the store for a bag full of water ( or bring a bucket with a cover for them to fill) and place a small amount of the grass in your tank and leave the rest in the bucket and add your lighting. What SHOULD happen if it's your water or lighting, the plants in the bucket will stay green but the plants in the tank will turn brown. If it's the lighting, the plants in the bucket should turn brownish/red and that's a sign of it being burned which means your light spectrum is too strong.

I had some guppy grass in with my Guppies and all it got was ambient light. ( The lighting in the building was a good 10' above the tank) and it did fine. The lights were on tho for 10 hours a day on a timer.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom