Have anyone tried minirilized soil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shoots2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone have minirilized soil experience,,,
Thanks in advance.

Actually i prepared it and the tank is cycling now but the water is a little brown and I didn't even add driftwood yet

Actually i prepared it and the tank is cycling now but the water is a little brown and I didn't even add driftwood yet

That's because the soil is releasing tannins or tannic acids. With frequent water changes it will disappear eventually or you could add some activated charcoal to you filter and it will/should disappear overnight. The charcoal needs replacing when the effect wears out but the soil may have naturally stopped leaching by then anyway.

Tannins are not harmful in any way.

Ya i will but i think i have to remove the charcoal when the tank is cycled coz i think that charcoal will absorb the nutrients from the water.. then i will put it until the water is clear then remove it and begin planting it.... thanks for ur reply

Ya i will but i think i have to remove the charcoal when the tank is cycled coz i think that charcoal will absorb the nutrients from the water.. then i will put it until the water is clear then remove it and begin planting it.... thanks for ur reply

That's fine but charcoal won't remove nutrients from the water. Take it out when it's done it's job though by all means.

I did not wish I would have. I hate eco complete. Substrate was hardest decision for me. I wish I had done soil with bdbs cap.

In my 40 im building I will

I did not wish I would have. I hate eco complete. Substrate was hardest decision for me. I wish I had done soil with bdbs cap.

In my 40 im building I will

I'm using eco complete at the moment. It's alright. Soil is pretty awesome though. I never really had to worry about micro nutrient deficiencies. Having said that. Root development is doing well with eco complete too.

I used aqua forest soil by Fox Farm and it worked out pretty well. The crypts and swords definitely enjoyed the benefits for about a year, but after that it was petty well spent and I was left with a messy substrate that no longer offered nutrient value. I had to recently replace my 55 because the middle brace broke and I used new bags of eco complete and scrapped the old substrate. So in conclusion, I found it to be beneficial to plant life for about a year, but after that it was pretty much useless I think. It is also definitely a messy substrate so you have to be prepared for that. I don't care how much gravel or sand you cap it with it will eventually make its way up.

I'm using eco complete at the moment. It's alright. Soil is pretty awesome though. I never really had to worry about micro nutrient deficiencies. Having said that. Root development is doing well with eco complete too.
I have trouble planting stems and helferi in it. Any tips?

I have trouble planting stems and helferi in it. Any tips?

For eco complete. Stems you just gotta leave a nice long stem enough to push right down with a pair of long tweezers. Then fill in the hole with more eco complete. Soil is the easiest substrate I've planted in.

For eco complete. Stems you just gotta leave a nice long stem enough to push right down with a pair of long tweezers. Then fill in the hole with more eco complete. Soil is the easiest substrate I've planted in.
That what im doing with stems. So much easier in sand. But I destroy helferi cuttings. Im just letting it spread on it own. If I was super motivated id glue some to lava rock. Might try one day.

I tend to bury the helferi a bit more than I should. Otherwise, with no roots, they readily become dislodged. No problems so far.

I tend to bury the helferi a bit more than I should. Otherwise, with no roots, they readily become dislodged. No problems so far.
I guess I need more experience or patience or both lol

Back
Top Bottom