"Heavily planted"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is considered a "heavily planted" tank? Is my tank heavily planted?

Very subjective term... I'd say your's is "moderately" planted now, but will probably be "heavily" once things have time to grow in. But, like I said it's subjective and those would only be JMO.

HN1 said:
Very subjective term... I'd say your's is "moderately" planted now, but will probably be "heavily" once things have time to grow in. But, like I said it's subjective and those would only be JMO.

Got it! I'm planning on adding at least 5 more plants(if I can find a spot for it.lol). I'd like to keep the front-mid part empty. Thank you.

No problem. That tank is really looking good. Nice work!

Have to agree with everyone, great looking tank! Should look good when things fill in. Btw what size is your tank?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

Id call it heavily planted when no substrate is visible, and most of the decorations are covered.

Lookin good though :)

TommyLiNy said:
Have to agree with everyone, great looking tank! Should look good when things fill in. Btw what size is your tank?

Thank you. I have a 125g. :)

har-2109 said:
Id call it heavily planted when no substrate is visible, and most of the decorations are covered.

Lookin good though :)

Thanks.

TommyLiNy said:
Nice! Just picked up a 150 that I plan on planting. What kind of lights are you using? CO2?

I have 6-65w PC bulb. I only use 4 though. No CO2. Just liquid ferts. Good luck on your 150g. I noticed that when I do PWC more often, the plants grows faster. That's just what I noticed. I don't know if that's a proven fact.

Nice! I'm looking for lights now, is it a 72" 125? What size is your fixture? Can't find any 72" probably gonna go with 2 36" T5 HOs

TommyLiNy said:
Nice! I'm looking for lights now, is it a 72" 125? What size is your fixture? Can't find any 72" probably gonna go with 2 36" T5 HOs

No. It's a 60" tank. I have a 48" fixture and I built a DIY platform(?) so it'll rest on the frame and not the glass cover. T5s are great. I want to upgrade to LEDs but my PCs will do good for now. Maybe when I decided to use CO2.

I just wanna ask what's the dimensions of your tank?

My tank is 60x18x21 and holds about 90 gallons.

And I wanted to say that I made DIY leds consisting of about 250 diodes of orange and white (will post pics later) and the problem is that leds produce a focused light of about 20 degrees therefore you need wide coverage and approximately 600 diodes for a tank your size.

I have 3 fluorescent t5s and the leds don't match up to the output of the t5s. They might look bright when you look directly at the them but they don't penetrate deep into the water.

But that's just my experience lol

I also recently added a co2 system and it makes a huge differance in the growth of your plants

Hope that helps lol
good luck

kevkev3321 said:
I just wanna ask what's the dimensions of your tank?

My tank is 60x18x21 and holds about 90 gallons.

And I wanted to say that I made DIY leds consisting of about 250 diodes of orange and white (will post pics later) and the problem is that leds produce a focused light of about 20 degrees therefore you need wide coverage and approximately 600 diodes for a tank your size.

I have 3 fluorescent t5s and the leds don't match up to the output of the t5s. They might look bright when you look directly at the them but they don't penetrate deep into the water.

But that's just my experience lol

I also recently added a co2 system and it makes a huge differance in the growth of your plants

Hope that helps lol
good luck

Base on your tank's dimensions, your tank is 98g. Mine is 60"x18.25"x26".

Basing on your experience, I guess that LED is not that good with tall tanks. I'll probably just upgrade to t5s. Cheaper than LEDs too. :D

I want a CO2 system so bad. Unfortunately, DIY CO2 is not a good idea with bigger tanks. I think its hard to maintain the desired CO2 level and it causes chaos in the tank. Algae bloom and stuff like that, I'm not sure. New lights and CO2 system are my next target.

Back
Top Bottom