Help! Algae!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Why am i getting this? What can i do to get it away? It is like a green spiderweb in my java moss, my anubias, ans my DW and i HATE it!

Hmm, i never get help with my algae posts for some reason. It is green, and spreadying pretty quickly!

Hard to tell by the pics. Best I can tell is that it looks like black beard algae. If that's the case it's almost always caused by low co2 levels.

Peyton said:
Hard to tell by the pics. Best I can tell is that it looks like black beard algae. If that's the case it's almost always caused by low co2 levels.

Cool, now how do i fix that? Diy? I dose comprehensive!

Better pics of the algae will help. It kinda looks like BGA to me.

What are your tank specs and water parameters.

rkilling1 said:
Better pics of the algae will help. It kinda looks like BGA to me.

What are your tank specs and water parameters.

I have a 13 watt bulb, and nitrate is usually 5-10...ill get pics later

I have a 13 watt bulb, and nitrate is usually 5-10...ill get pics later

I know it's a pain to get more photos, but there are just so many different types of algae that I can't give you the correct information without them. Thanks

I looked up your previous posts trying to determine what size tank and what not that you have, but I can't seem to find that information. I see a lot of SW stuff, but not much about this tank.

A better description or link to more information would be helpful.

rkilling1 said:
I know it's a pain to get more photos, but there are just so many different types of algae that I can't give you the correct information without them. Thanks

I looked up your previous posts trying to determine what size tank and what not that you have, but I can't seem to find that information. I see a lot of SW stuff, but not much about this tank.

A better description or link to more information would be helpful.

Hi, thanks for helping! I failed at my last planted tank, and im one more failure away from being preeeetty mad haha.

Here are they pics. It is essentially a slimy green algae. It takes over plants and cakes them basically. My nerites dont seem to eat it.

2.5 gallons, 13 watt CFL, lights on for 6-7 hours, one betta and ghost shrimp, java moss, rotala indica, anubias, java fern, driftwood, i dose flourish comprehensive and kent marine..anything else?

It is definitly BGA!! ok, now how to get rid of it? I read it, but what is your opinion?

The first thing to do is figure out WHY you have it. Removing it will do no good if the problem just comes back. Low Nitrates are notorious for this type of algae.

I had a non-CO2 medium light tank many years ago that I decided to let grow on it's own. At two different times I got ride of the BGA. The first was a 5 day black out and the second was using Erythromycin. The Erythromycin worked the best and was much simpler.

Interesting. I think it is because my lak of CO2. Should i start??

I could do the blackout! What is the other stuff you had and where do i purchase it?

Thanks!!

Gboy66 said:
No co2! I need to though, dont you think man?

Oh ok. Try DIY CO2. CO2 will kill out algea, but it's really best to find out whats causing it in the first place. The first step it to reduce the light. Try a 10W or something similiar.

Austin.b said:
Oh ok. Try DIY CO2. CO2 will kill out algea, but it's really best to find out whats causing it in the first place. The first step it to reduce the light. Try a 10W or something similiar.

Could you tell me what i need for diy again?

I will have to make time to get a bulb!

To on YouTube and type in DIY co2 it should be the first video that's what I followed for my DIY and here's a pic of my 10g

image-4180034320.jpg

Gboy66 said:
Could you tell me what i need for diy again?

I will have to make time to get a bulb!

Yeast
Warm water
Sugar
Two 2 liter bottles
Airline tubing
A method of diffusion

I've never ever had any luck with DIY CO2, so i won't give you my recipes lol hopefully someone else has a recipe that works :) lol

You could always order one online? Just make sure it's a 10W or smaller, and is 6500k or close to it.

Lunchbox209 said:
To on YouTube and type in DIY co2 it should be the first video that's what I followed for my DIY and here's a pic of my 10g

LOVE your RCS!! They look great! Do you think you can you give a link or exact name of the video?

You could also try spot dosing with excel. I don't really recommend spraying your java moss with excel, as it may melt.

Back
Top Bottom