Help! Algae and Frothy Bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmyhetten9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in need of some advice. My tank has been going great and almost over night I've got some algae issues on rocks, live plants, and driftwood. I also have noticed the last couple of days some frothy bubbles on the surface of the water.

Can the bubbles be from DIY Co2 I'm using? Anyone seen this before? I've attached pics for reference.

I'm also extremely careful about over-feeding and freak out if any food reaches the bottom because I know that can cause algae issues.

Specs below:

38 gallon
Planted pretty heavily
Fluval 306 filtration
Finnex Ray 2; 7k (on for 8 hours a day)
CO2 daily (DIY yeast/sugar mixture)
Freshwater; temp around 78 degrees
Eco complete substrate with fertilizer underneath
PH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2.25ppm

I just finished cycling around a week ago and haven't added too many fish due to a busy schedule. I've got 2 zebra danios and 3 white clouds currently so I'm not by any means overstocked. However, would the addition of some bottom feeders be able to clean all this up? I really want to get to the root of the problem. Could my DIY Co2 be putting sugar/yeast in the aquarium and feeding algae? I'm a noob here. :)

thanks,

James

Attachments

• bubbles.jpg
    bubbles.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Algae.jpg
    Algae.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Green Algae.jpg
    Green Algae.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 99
How is your DIY CO2 system setup? Do you have a bubble counter? A bubble counter can act as a gas separator as well to help prevent yeast from getting in your tank. Could be why you're getting the froth. Or it could just be a protein layer of sorts. Doing a partial water change should help.

The algae is probably from a lack of CO2. I don't think DIY is effective enough for tanks larger than 20 to 30g's. I'd get a pressurized system for a tank your size. But if funds are stopping you, DIY is better than nothing... But I'd add supplementing liquid carbon like Excel or Glut to the mix.

Perhaps reducing your photoperiod by an hour as well.

Some Otos, nerite snails, and/or amano shrimp should help with the algae.

Sorry it took so long to reply, was away for work.

DIY setup does have a bubble counter set-up. I'm seeing zero liquid getting into the tube as well. I just put on a new 2-liter to make sure it was just the mixture getting old. I actually pulled all my Co2 gear for a couple days to see if it would fix the problem but it didn't. I did a partial water change and wiped all the bubbles away but they came back after about a day.

I have since hooked up a new Co2 mixture 2-liter because my plants are in need. All this being said, I'm scrapping the DIY and getting a GLA Primo Pressurized system so I hope that helps. I'm still at a loss as to what the frothy bubbles are though. All my levels are perfect from my API test kit.

Is it just that my tank is new? Cycled about a week ago and it's been up and running for about a month. This algae isn't going away! Not sure what I'm doing wrong. If anything, I'm underfeeding the fish just to make sure nothing hits the bottom of the tank.

James

It's probably just surface scum. Does it look like an oil slick, aside from the froth? You can get one of those surface skimmer attachments for your 306 or a stand alone skimmer like the Eheim Skim350.

BTW, nice choice on that CO2 system!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks regarding the Co2 system. I definitely did a bit of research and wanted something reliable that I don't have to worry about.

I really don't see an oily fill on the surface other than those frothy bubbles around the edge. Could it be that it's a newer tank? I'm really hoping to keep the amount of equipment in the aquarium to a minimum so that the plants and fish can be the focal point.

That being said, I want to make sure my plants and fish have the healthiest environment. Can the skimmer just be thrown in a few hours a week or does it have to run all the time? I'd like the beat the problem at the source.

thanks,

James

Your Tank Water

Hello Jim...

Changes in the water, like what you're seeing means that some type of salt or a chemical, possibly in the gravel has dissolved in the water. Whatever the case, this means that a water change is needed. By flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water through the tank every week to two depending on the size of the tank, there's no time for chemicals to build up to a harmful level before they're removed. By following an aggressive water change routine, you guarantee pure water conditions for your fish and the plants.

B

B,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I had been doing daily water changes while my tank was cycling to lower Nitrite and Ammonia levels. Do I have to be fearful of doing water changes too much now that the tank is cycled? I've heard you can start a mini cycle again.

My current levels are as follows:
PH 6.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.25 (pretty low, I've heard of people operating at more like 20ppm)
Eco Complete Substrate (potentially still settling?)

When I do water changes I've been using PRIME. Should I start doing a water change anytime I see the frothy bubbles? If so, I'd be changing maybe every other day.

James

I'm really hoping to keep the amount of equipment in the aquarium to a minimum so that the plants and fish can be the focal point.

IMO, the skimmer doesn't detract too much. Especially if you're heavily planted and use plant growth characteristics to your advantage. But that's just my opinion. Take a look at my tank thread. I have the skimmer, heater, and a HOB in sight, which are less desirable things to have out in the open in a rimless tank build. My next rescape, however, will just have Lily pipes and conceal everything else... real minimalistic style... But that's another story. Anyways, the Eheim Skim 350 works well in keeping the surface of my tank crystal clear. This also helps by not blocking any light and helping with gas exchange.

Go to page 29... is the skimmer too distracting? You can be honest... I won't get hurt ;)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279701

Last edited:
Brian,

So I did some research and you sold me on the Eheim 350. I purchased it yesterday and can't wait for it to get here. I also did a water change and that helped some. I don't know what my deal is but the algae is getting worse daily and it's frustrating because things were looking absolutely beautiful for quite a few weeks there.

I just ordered a Co2 system form GLA so I'm hoping that will help my plants grow faster and combat all the nutrients going to the algae.

A local pet store swears by these moss balls they sell to combat algae. Any of you use them?

James

Back
Top Bottom