Help amazon sword id dying!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EndlersEatGuppies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright here we go. I purchased a beautiful looking amazon sword and now its slowly dying. I have these light bulbs http://www.lowes.com/pd_302277-3-26967_5003695__?productId=3202349&Ntt=compact+fluo%20rescent+&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fp%20l_5%2B10_5003695__s%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0%26Ntt%20%3Dcompact%2Bfluorescent%2B&facetInfo=$5%20-%20$10 . will they be fine??? they are 3500k and use 13 watts but are = to 60 watts each

how big is your tank? the link did not work for me, but you want to stay somewhere in the 6000-10,000k color spectrum, anything outside of that is pretty much unusable to plants. 6700k is a common color spectrum for planted tanks.

how big is your tank? the link did not work for me, but you want to stay somewhere in the 6000-10,000k color spectrum, anything outside of that is pretty much unusable to plants. 6700k is a common color spectrum for planted tanks.

10 gallon and won't it grow algae with that much k?

if everything is balanced correctly (lights, CO2, nutrients) then you shouldnt have algae issues, but it's just something that takes trial and error. if your light isn't in that range it's useless to the plant so thd plant will not be able to photosynthesize. also, root tabs are beneficial to swords which are root feeders.

Fishman13 said:
Alright here we go. I purchased a beautiful looking amazon sword and now its slowly dying. I have these light bulbs. will they be fine??? they are 3500k and use 13 watts but are = to 60 watts each

3500K is a bit low for that plant and a pair of 10w/6700K from ZooMed would work good IMO. I've seen them at Petco for $10.

2 bulbs? That's 2x13=26w @ 3500K, the incandescent equivalent does not apply and the K factor doesn't multiply.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_search.php?search=amazon+sword&type=Search

Just a note but C&P doesn't work for us app users :).

ok i will get some 6500k. also i have the cfl/energy efficient lights in my hood and they use 13 watts but = 60 watts each. so is it 120 watts or 26 watts

Fishman13 said:
ok i will get some 6500k. also i have the cfl/energy efficient lights in my hood and they use 13 watts but = 60 watts each. so is it 120 watts or 26 watts

26w only. The 60w is the amount of light it outputs compared to a regular incandescent light bulb in a regular light fixture and doesn't apply to your aquarium.

2x10w will give you 2 wpg at 6700K and will get you in the ballpark without having to worry about co2 IMO. Fert tabs are a good idea as MTron suggested, since root feeders don't use nutrients in the water column as much as some plants from what I've read.

That link is for the screw in kind of cfl that you would place in a table top lamp. Do the screw in kind produce the same spectrum as a tube bulb meant for aquariums? I couldn't find any info about the spectrum produced by that bulb.

Edit: It appears as if the package of that bulb does say 3500K on it. So my question is now. If you had one in the correct k range would it be ok to use?

That link is for the screw in kind of cfl that you would place in a table top lamp. Do the screw in kind produce the same spectrum as a tube bulb meant for aquariums? I couldn't find any info about the spectrum produced by that bulb.

Edit: It appears as if the package of that bulb does say 3500K on it. So my question is now. If you had one in the correct k range would it be ok to use?

my lfs said its fine. what do u guys think

26w only. The 60w is the amount of light it outputs compared to a regular incandescent light bulb in a regular light fixture and doesn't apply to your aquarium.

2x10w will give you 2 wpg at 6700K and will get you in the ballpark without having to worry about co2 IMO. Fert tabs are a good idea as MTron suggested, since root feeders don't use nutrients in the water column as much as some plants from what I've read.

i am using the root tabs.

if the screw inCFL is the right color spectrum (k rating) they are fine to use.

Fishman13 said:
my lfs said its fine. what do u guys think

Your Amazon Sword says other wise, is what I think but you have to decide.

Fishman13 said:
i am using the root tabs.

Then, I'd say your lighting in an issue to be resolved. What root tabs do you use? I need to get some in one of my tanks and can't find anything at Petco worth buying.

I think it should be noted that these root tabs have only been in the tank for a day at this point, theyve not had time to start working. The lighting may or may not be sufficient, but you should give it a week or so before you call it quits and buy new lighting. It's all about spectrum, which is something we have no way of determining. If, after a week, the sword doesn't look any better, then you should think about getting new bulbs. JMO

Mr. Limpet said:

Then, I'd say your lighting in an issue to be resolved. What root tabs do you use? I need to get some in one of my tanks and can't find anything at Petco worth buying.

I think we'd all agree that the OP's lights are not the proper color spectrum. I have no idea the kind of fixture you are using so I can't recommend bulbs.

I think it should be noted that these root tabs have only been in the tank for a day at this point, theyve not had time to start working. The lighting may or may not be sufficient, but you should give it a week or so before you call it quits and buy new lighting. It's all about spectrum, which is something we have no way of determining. If, after a week, the sword doesn't look any better, then you should think about getting new bulbs. JMO

Alright i will do that and update everyone what happens.

i am using API root tabs.

Back
Top Bottom