Help me identify this snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mixer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any ideas as to what kind of snail? Is this a pest or something good to have?

Sorry for the bad iPhone pic.

Attachments

• image-2480254654.jpg
    image-2480254654.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 117
I think of it more as a pest then anything. IMO they give off more waste then they clean, they leave my 5gl with this brown stuff on the walls, that I have to scrub off. But I purposely put them in there so I could feed them to me GSP.

Common pond snail (sometimes called a blister snail). My daughters like those I "inherited" with some plants... But they are capable if reproducing exponentially. I find them in my HOB filter on the filter pads... Usually still alive (after the journey through the tube and impeller!).

Some fish will eat them, particularly loaches. None of my fish care two beans about them. Assassin snails will eat them... But are slow about it (eat one, burry into substrate for a few days, out to hunt again, then burry up fir a few days).

If you overfeed, then you will encourage a population boom.

Batt4Christ said:
Common pond snail (sometimes called a blister snail). My daughters like those I "inherited" with some plants... But they are capable if reproducing exponentially. I find them in my HOB filter on the filter pads... Usually still alive (after the journey through the tube and impeller!).

Some fish will eat them, particularly loaches. None of my fish care two beans about them. Assassin snails will eat them... But are slow about it (eat one, burry into substrate for a few days, out to hunt again, then burry up fir a few days).

If you overfeed, then you will encourage a population boom.

My 4 assassin snails have eaten about a hundred within a week.

Back
Top Bottom