Help! What is this on my driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brybell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started my tank, and have yet to start cycling. There is this cloudy lookin stuff that seems to be coming from the driftwood, which is a piece i got from petco...it is mopani wood and I did soak it for a few days. Is this bad? normal?

thanks!

image-404668056.jpg

I have no clue what it is. I would just take it out and get that crap off

Edit: looks like te fungus stuff that appears around a dead fish if it is not taken out of the tank.

Thanks

I have no clue what it is. I would just take it out and get that crap off

Edit: looks like te fungus stuff that appears around a dead fish if it is not taken out of the tank.

Thanks, yeah it looks like some spiderwebby stuff idk.

Should I boil it?

I believe it is a type of fungus that often grows on new DW. You could just let it go; whatever it is feeding on will be exhausted and it should die off. This may take a while. You could also remove the DW and scrub (or boil) it to remove the fungus. It may grow back or it may not. This is normal.

I believe it is a type of fungus that often grows on new DW. You could just let it go; whatever it is feeding on will be exhausted and it should die off. This may take a while. You could also remove the DW and scrub (or boil) it to remove the fungus. It may grow back or it may not. This is normal.

Thanks, ya I read it is normal and not an issue.

I even took it out soaked it for a day then boiled it for a long time and the stuff still came back today. oh well...

Back
Top Bottom