Help with lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquasamurai

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a simple question I can't figure out myself

I have a 20G tank and I plan on growing a carpet of HC. Got solid and liquid ferts already, water cycled, fish in the tank, i just wondered how much light (e.g. 60Wx2) you think I need for my HC to grow nicely.

Thanks guys!

that depends on how much you want to spend. personally i would go with T5HO lights the watt per gallon rule is out of date and research pps-pro dosing for your ferts but i would say a 2x32w T5HO light with a temp range between 6,700k-10,000k bulbs would do just fine. but theres more people on here that knows much more than i do so im sure by days end you will have all the advice you will need to pick the right light. also what are you usinf for substrate and exactly what ferts do u have and do you plan on doing co2 injection or the "liquid co2" suppliment

that depends on how much you want to spend. personally i would go with T5HO lights the watt per gallon rule is out of date and research pps-pro dosing for your ferts but i would say a 2x32w T5HO light with a temp range between 6,700k-10,000k bulbs would do just fine. but theres more people on here that knows much more than i do so im sure by days end you will have all the advice you will need to pick the right light. also what are you usinf for substrate and exactly what ferts do u have and do you plan on doing co2 injection or the "liquid co2" suppliment

Are you doing a pressurized c02 set up.

Are you doing a pressurized c02 set up.

I am actually doing a diy co2 setup on my 55g and my wife is doing the pressurized setup on her 20g I got the bigger tank and mixed African cichlids she got the pressurized system more plants and a better light.

What is the best way to go about getting new lighting? Purchasing an already made setup or a DIY build your own?

What is the best way to go about getting new lighting? Purchasing an already made setup or a DIY build your own?

That all depends on what kind of light you want how handy you are and how much you are willing to spend personally with the exception of diy led lighting 12v don't hurt ...lol... my motto is rednecks and electricity don't mix so I personally just buy the lights I want and add blue led strips to them for the nightlights or actual 5050rgb strips for supplemental with a good controller

I prefer getting a manufactured setup, first of all because I am terrible at DIY and second of all, I trust the manufacturer rather I do myself lol.

Back
Top Bottom