Homemade CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limnologist

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I decided to grow some dwarf hairgrass, but cant afford a C02 set-up, so, I did some research and made a sealed bottle filled with yeast and sugar with an release tube that leads into my aquarium. It makes quite a bit of bubbles in the water and so far works. appearantly the yeast makes enough C02 for a 20 gallon tank (so says the internet). Ill post some pictures eventually.

Also you need a second bottle in line to catch any moisture buildup.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I run a diy co2 system. Do you have a check valve system in place. And what's your method of diffusion

I just have a tube running from the bottle to my filter. from what I can tell, its working and there are lots of tiny bubbles on the underside of my plant leaves.

I find that the foam usually gets eaten by my smaller animals -shrimp, minnows, guppies, ect. (I add cultured yeast to my tanks every now and then and especially when I have fry in a tank)

A second bottle to catch any yeast water that escapes is a good idea. The yeast can really make a tank nasty. It also lets you see how many bubbles the yeast is making so you know when it starts to slow down. Remember to change it out every two weeks or you will end up with an algae outbreak. I learned that the hard way.:banghead: I tried every diy diffusion method and finally just drilled a hole in the intake pipe of my filter and glued the CO2 line into it. That way my filters impeller chops up the bubbles and distributes it through the tank. Some say this eventually destroys the impeller but I have been doing it that way for a year with no problems.

I live and breath yeast and fermentation, ive been making sourdough bread and kefir for years lol, it will take about a week and 3-5 days from today until I need to check the bottle and possibly add sugar. Ive never had problems with yeast in the tank, fry from various fish (danios, live-bearers, anabantoids alike) all like eating the yeast goop.

Yes like a bubble counter and yes that may be safe with just cultured yeast but when you add sugar and baking soda to the mix its not good for the fish. Oh also in my experience champagne yeast works the best.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bake my own bread too. I just started learning to make cheese. It is amazing what can be accomplished with different bacteria.

Isnt it satisfying to make your own food from fermentation?? lol

Try brewing beer once you're into it you can't stop. My dad started off with the simple diy kits and now does everything from scratch, grows hops, cracks wheat, cultures an abundance of yeast. Yeah it's on tap too ?

Back
Top Bottom