How am I doing? Update on 55g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone!

I received all my plants on Thursday and there are all set up ready to go! I have photos from day 1 of being planted and photos from today( day 3 ). The right side of the tank has some anubias nana on the DW in front of the DW is crypt lucens, in behind the DW are some cabomba red as well as some willow moss on the DW. In the middle we have the front set up with dwarf sag, in the middle are three tiger lotus bulbs won't be keeping all three though, in the back is bacopa caroliniana with lindernia rotundifolia on either side. The left side I have cork val along the side and back, in front of that is ludwigia repens as well as ludwigia ovalis. I mixed about 2 or 3 stems of both ludwigias and planted them together in about 6 or 7 bunches. I think I left one bunch of each on either side but I don't remember lol. Let me know what you all think!

image-2409370087.jpg

Day 1

image-3131653450.jpg

Day 1

image-201579437.jpg

Day 1

image-267771597.jpg

Day 1

image-4127786488.jpg

Day 1

image-496221446.jpg

Day 3

image-115536249.jpg

Day 3

image-2692876459.jpg

Day 3

image-1200805480.jpg

Day 3

It's looks like the cabomba, bacopa and rotundifolia are taking the best. I think the crypt lucens are going to die. The ludwigia doesn't look all that great either buts its only day 3 so we will see how things turn out.

Let me know what you guys think!

I like the Bacopa, I have some too! I'm excited to start dosing dry ferts next week, because mine got nasty holes in it! It's a great plant though.

That is a really cool and interesting layout....I like it! What are you going to stock it with? I too am a fan of the two-tone substrate but you may have some issues keeping it that way with the stock you choose...but it looks really good keep it up!

That is a really cool and interesting layout....I like it! What are you going to stock it with? I too am a fan of the two-tone substrate but you may have some issues keeping it that way with the stock you choose...but it looks really good keep it up!

Hey thanks I wasn't sure how I felt about it but I like it! I plan on stocking 15 cardinal tetras, 8 congo tetras, 6 cory cats, 1 pearl gourami, and a pair of rams. Will that work alright?

Hello everyone!

I received all my plants on Thursday and there are all set up ready to go! I have photos from day 1 of being planted and photos from today( day 3 ). The right side of the tank has some anubias nana on the DW in front of the DW is crypt lucens, in behind the DW are some cabomba red as well as some willow moss on the DW. In the middle we have the front set up with dwarf sag, in the middle are three tiger lotus bulbs won't be keeping all three though, in the back is bacopa caroliniana with lindernia rotundifolia on either side. The left side I have cork val along the side and back, in front of that is ludwigia repens as well as ludwigia ovalis. I mixed about 2 or 3 stems of both ludwigias and planted them together in about 6 or 7 bunches. I think I left one bunch of each on either side but I don't remember lol. Let me know what you all think!

Day 1

Day 1

Day 1

Day 1

Day 1

Day 3

Day 3

Day 3

Day 3

It's looks like the cabomba, bacopa and rotundifolia are taking the best. I think the crypt lucens are going to die. The ludwigia doesn't look all that great either buts its only day 3 so we will see how things turn out.

Let me know what you guys think!

Some crypts go through through a melting stage, I would give it a little while and see if it grows back.

Here are a few photos of the tank and the growth plants have been in for 10 days. I'm having some trouble with algae though. I'm not too sure what to do ill also attach photos of the algae. I have been dosing pps pro minus the nitrates bc my levels are high enough right now without it. Jw what I should do about the algae situation. The bacopa and cabomba have some crazy roots growing out of them

Attachments

• image-309404707.jpg
    image-309404707.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image-529241632.jpg
    image-529241632.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3781882811.jpg
    image-3781882811.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1510469754.jpg
    image-1510469754.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2138448327.jpg
    image-2138448327.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1976525302.jpg
    image-1976525302.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 96
New tanks will often go through an algae bloom. Is that algae hair-like? is it on the glass? Could be diatoms. Usually, it will go away in a week or two. But I would cut the lighting down to 6 hours a day and try to do as much manual removal as possible and keep up with the water changes. Stem plants like that will often grow roots out of the stem, even if it is 10" in the water lol.

New tanks will often go through an algae bloom. Is that algae hair-like? is it on the glass? Could be diatoms. Usually, it will go away in a week or two. But I would cut the lighting down to 6 hours a day and try to do as much manual removal as possible and keep up with the water changes. Stem plants like that will often grow roots out of the stem, even if it is 10" in the water lol.

It most defiantly is hair like! It started on the rotunfoilia and then just the sand nowhere else really ill try and cut back the lighting time to 6 hours and clean up as much as I can!

Do that for about a week and see how it does. I also found spot treating with Excel or H2O2 works well with hair algae. Also, my nerite snails love it :)

Tank looks great! I really like the layout and it will look amazing when everything fills in! Good job

Thanks everyone! Today I found a few random snails in my tank hanging around the co2 diffuser! What should I do are they good are they bad? There's actually like 10 now that I look close. Ill attach a photo but its not that great

Attachments

• image-672584952.jpg
    image-672584952.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 62
Thanks everyone! Today I found a few random snails in my tank hanging around the co2 diffuser! What should I do are they good are they bad? There's actually like 10 now that I look close. Ill attach a photo but its not that great

Kinda looks like pond/pest snails to me, but that's probably more of just a guess because of the picture. Try feeding a little less, try the lettuce in a jar trick, and also could try some of the smaller bodied loaches but only if you're still going to want them after the snails are gone.

Kinda looks like pond/pest snails to me, but that's probably more of just a guess because of the picture. Try feeding a little less, try the lettuce in a jar trick, and also could try some of the smaller bodied loaches but only if you're still going to want them after the snails are gone.

I don't even have any fish yet that's the thing. The only way they could have got there are from the plants I put in almost two weeks ago.

I still have a few in my tank, I'll be honest though. If your water levels are in check, and you feed only as much as the fish can get before it touches the substrate, you'll never have more than a handful, and they are not even noticeable during the day. You might want them completely gone, but that's your decision.

I don't even have any fish yet that's the thing. The only way they could have got there are from the plants I put in almost two weeks ago.

If all you have are plants you could possibly use a medication that's unsafe to inverts but someone correct me if that's not a good idea. Snails are common hitch hikers on plants, you can start dipping your plants before you put them in the tank and thoroughly inspecting plants before they're in your tank, that's what I do since I had MTS hitch hikers

Back
Top Bottom