How long does Co2 take to lower pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just turned on my Co2 system for the first time today. I have 10psi going to 1bps right now. My goal pH is 6.2, and I'm currently at 6.6. I am only trying to lower it .4 because my kH is only 1*, so looking at the chart on aquariumplants.com it says my ideal pH is 6.2. How long should it take the Co2 to lower my pH? It's been running for 10-15 mins, and I tested the water with the API Master Kit pH test, and it hasn't dropped yet.

After playing with it for a while, 3bps looks like what I need to get my pH to drop .4 (@ ~12psi). That seems like a lot to me, but after reading a lot of articles and other peoples threads, every system is different apparently. I checked the whole system for leaks, I couldnt find one, so I know it's not escaping any where. I'm going to let it run for the rest of the photo period and see what happens. If everything is still ok, I guess I'm all set. My GBRs get here tomorrow I think, so I got everything done just in time!

I highly recommend getting a drop checker. The kH/CO2 method is nice, but it would suck to gas your fish needlessly. They're under $20, so money's not a huge issue.

Ive went to 4 LFS in my area, and none of them had one. They all looked at me like I had 10 heads when I asked.

plus, isnt the drop checker delayed a lot?

The drop checker is essential IMO. Once you get the system set you shouldn't have to mess with it much, so the delay isn't really a big deal. They sell them on ebay for a few bucks, just make sure you get 4dkh solution for it also otherwise you are just using a fancy pH test.

You'll most likely have to order it online. Mine was $10 off ebay.

I think that a time delay is trivial in the long run. It's like, what, 2 hrs? Not a huge issue. You'll want to accurately know your CO2 levels if you're running pressurized CO2. Honestly, I would rather confidently know that my fish are safe and not getting gassed.

I once heard someone say "Patience is the secret to growing plants. Impatience is the secret to growing algae". I'm going to spend a weekend dialing in my CO2 to the right levels before I even put plants in my new tank, much less fish.

jetajockey said:
The drop checker is essential IMO. Once you get the system set you shouldn't have to mess with it much, so the delay isn't really a big deal. They sell them on ebay for a few bucks, just make sure you get 4dkh solution for it also otherwise you are just using a fancy pH test.

I cant seem to find one with a drop checker and the solution. I'd buy it right now.

The solution is really just 4dkh solution and normal low range pH drops, which all aquarist should have. There is a guy selling just that solution for $7.50 shipped, or you can make it yourself. All you really need is the glass doohickey.

Here's what I got... just add one drop checker, a few drops of the 4dkh solution, and a few drops of your pH test solution.

Aquarium Glass Drop Checker x3 for Co2 Monitor Tester | eBay - It's nice to have some extras... and it's free shipping. Adds up to $3.33 each.

4 dKH Reference Solution For Co2 Drop Checker pH | eBay

That's $15 and enough solution to last years

Thanks! I ordered the 4dkh off ebay just now. The drop checker I saw the shipping would take close to a month! :banghead: I just went on greenleaf and got one off the website. It cost more, but I'm not waiting a month, so whatever lol.

Hey, I got my CAL Oracle today and put it in. It actually came with a little bottle of solution too, so I guess the one I got off eBay can be extra. I guess I'll see how this works tomorrow. Should I start with like .5bps and work my way up until the bulb turns green?

Thanks for all the help!

0.360g of Sodium Bicarbonate in 1 gallon of water should = ~ 4Dkh. I had to look all over the net to find out those numbers when I was making my own solution. Just for a reference later.
I would leave the CO2 set at what it is now and see. Then make your adjustments. Just my advice.

ldaniel said:
0.360g of Sodium Bicarbonate in 1 gallon of water should = ~ 4Dkh. I had to look all over the net to find out those numbers when I was making my own solution. Just for a reference later.
I would leave the CO2 set at what it is now and see. Then make your adjustments. Just my advice.

Thanks I needed to lower it to 2 bps...everything is good now!

Back
Top Bottom