How many watts per gallon do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank, and I want to have jungle Val's and Dwarf hair grass. I have my sights set on T5 HO's which have a wattage 54w each bulb. I will have 2 of them. Is that enough for the 2 plants?

I also have other questions:
What fertilizer do I use?
Is sand OK?

Fish! Fish! Fish!

Your Tank

I have a 55 gallon tank, and I want to have jungle Val's and Dwarf hair grass. I have my sights set on T5 HO's which have a wattage 54w each bulb. I will have 2 of them. Is that enough for the 2 plants?

I also have other questions:
What fertilizer do I use?
Is sand OK?

Fish! Fish! Fish!

Hello Jo...

2 watts per gallon is plenty. Sand isn't my first choice. It easily compacts and creates voids and is harder to clean than other types of bottom material. It contributes to water chemistry problems moreso than other materials. Fertilizers aren't needed if you have a good fish load. Just feed them a balanced diet. They'll provide the ferts. Include large, regular water changes and the fish and plants will take care of themselves.

Have fun.

B

Dwarf hair grass needs high light and your 55 gal is a tall tank. I think you'll need more light than 2 watts per gallon based on your situation. Check how much PAR your light delivers at your tank height.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Read this thread to get info on PAR v wpg - Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

I have a similiar size tank (60g) with 2x54 T5HOs which gives me around 35-40 par (less if you have glass) which is the low end of medium light. I'm no expert and have never had it myself, but I've read up on DHG and have read it needs medium to high light. The vals though - no problem.

Dwarf hair grass needs high light and your 55 gal is a tall tank. I think you'll need more light than 2 watts per gallon based on your situation. Check how much PAR your light delivers at your tank height.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have heard of Micro sword narrow leaf or something like that, would that grow in 2wpg?

Fish! Fish! Fish!

Back
Top Bottom