how to grow plants for profit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i was looking into making a plant growing tank. what light, substrate, water parameters, ferts, co2.
and what kind of plants?

What sized tank do you want to use?
Do you have anyone to sell the plants to? This could determine what lights and co2 you use.
I would think that you would want to use something like PPS-PRO for ferts

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you really want to make some money i would look at fast growing and some more expensive plants.

Dwarf hair grass can sell for a pretty penny.

Some with aponogeton species.

Another one I've found is Hygrophila Pinnatifida. It supposedly is uncommon in the U.S. It has grown well in my tank and is getting big.

Star repens

Dwarf sag

Baby tears

Most of your high light plants or you could do low light like water sprite and hornwort that grow like weeds.

Caleb

i will use a 20 or 30 gallon, i may sell to my lfs but i will sell them at auction at my aquareum society meetings

Talk to Foster!
You will find him in the classifieds selling plants!
He is a former LFS owner also I believe?

IMO a 20 long or 40 breeder is your best bet. The bigger it is the more plants you can grow.

Caleb

Growing plants for profit is difficult, particularly for beginners.

If you really want an easy set up just do an emersed tank with separate pots of HC, DHG, Monte Carlo, and UG.

If you want to do submersed I'd target rarer mosses (you can maximize tank space with suction cups and SS mesh). Most stems are common enough that you won't make much off of them, excluding the newer soft water varieties. Erios are expensive and sought after but they have a learning curve. I have a farm tank filled with dozens and dozens of bucephalandras that I make a small profit on, enough at least to fund new projects and such.

Pressurized co2, good ferts (EI or PPS pro, for example), good light and possibly a good substrate will be important. Ultimately I'd recommend mastering the basics of a planted tank and worrying about the money making part later.!

well i have ben doing planted tanks for a while now. and im not looking to make a living of them, just a little pocket cash, and to keep the tank paid for.

If you're going to sell to an lfs ask them what plants they are selling out of. This way you know what plants to focus on growing on. It may be a common plant, but if they are always selling out there is room for you to make $$

If you're going to sell to an lfs ask them what plants they are selling out of. This way you know what plants to focus on growing on. It may be a common plant, but if they are always selling out there is room for you to make $$

Good point. You can have tons of plants but if they can't take it in there's no use.

Caleb

At the next meeting/auction, make note of which plants go quickly and which ones demand a decent price. Also, make note of the ones that do not sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

well it seams they like swords and large crypts, so i think plants that are the one big leaf shape like the swords go well

well it seams they like swords and large crypts, so i think plants that are the one big leaf shape like the swords go well

Fortunately these are not demanding in terms of light but to get them to grow fast it will need decent lighting (better than stock lighting) and heavy substrate ferts as mentioned previously. They will grow in less lighting but not as quickly.
If you really get things going then your tank will resemble a farm tank. Not pretty, just crops of plants.
When it comes to transport, swords ship well. Crypts do too but might be prone to melt at the destination. That's why it is commonly sold in the emersed form; leaves grown out of the water; transports easily.

As for making a profit, it may take a while to recoup the initial investment (lighting, ferts, CO2 if you go that route). I've shipped plants over the last two years and really cannot say I've made a profit. Enough to cover the cost of my tank and equipment? Not even close. Then again, a lot of my transactions have been RAOK, swaps, or pay for shipping only.
As mentioned before, contact Foster53; the dude is a plant farmer.

Back
Top Bottom