Hygrophilia Difformis, Corkscrew Vallisneria, Rotala

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am pretty much a plant newby. I have had an anubias for a year or so and a newly aquired moss ball. I would like to try something different. I need low light, low maintnance, and something that won't be eaten by a molly or bristlenose pleco. I have a 20 tall tank so would like something taller so I can get rid of my fake plants. I have sand substrate. Doublebright LED light 4-5 hours per day with a fair amount of natural light in the room. Community tank.

The above plants are available at my LFS. The hygrophilia difformis and corkscrew vallisneria seem to fit my low maintenance/low light/hard to kill needs more, but the rotala was also recommened so I thought I would get opinions on that as well.

Will these plants survive me? I keep pretty good water quality, but don't want to mess much with ferts and such. Thanks!

The doublebright on a 20H doesn't give you very much light to work with, so you might find yourself wanting more. Both vals and H. difformis aren't necessarily low light plants, with both species appreciating more medium levels of lighting. Not to say that they won't survive, but they might struggle more than if you had a bit more light.

Just thought you'd like to read this thread, it's about the Double Bright LED's.... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/double-bright-leds-one-year-later-242926.html

Thanks! I haven't decided how much I like the DB lights. I have had them for a year now. I started on a 10 , then put them on a 20. When I put them back on the 10 it was way too bright for my taste. So, the DB is back on the 20 and I don't know what I will do when it dies. Since I can only have lights on for 4-5 hours a day it might be a while. I have tons of natural light in the room, and more than 5 hours causes algae issues. I am not sure how good natural light is for plant growth. I guess I am going to find out. The above DB posting said that wisteria did not work for them even with adding things to the tank. Hmmm... I may try one anyway just to see what happens. If it does not work, then I can try something else, or I might learn about dosing. Everybody's tank is different, it is just a matter of finding what works for me. I find out what I can ahead of time, then go with it. :)

Try water sprite instead of wisteria. I've got water sprite in a couple pretty low light tanks and it still grows like crazy.

In your tank, do you have it floated or planted? Is it okay with a BN pleco and molly?

It's planted and floated and is fine with a BNP but a molly "might" pick at it.

Back
Top Bottom