I am soooo stupid...I created my own algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiamiCuse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a pair of angel fish that spawned in a community tank. First spawn ever and they ate the eggs, all of them.

So I decided to move both of them into a 29 gallon tank, all by themselves, to give them the peace and quiet they need. This tank had other fish in them but I moved them to the community tank instead. This tank had UGF but I thought why not and just let them be. Part of the reason I moved them to this tank is because it's planted and the fry would be able to roam around safely, I was not sure if the parent angels will protect them or eat them instead.

They waited two weeks and spawned again. This time they really took care of the eggs and they hatched. First day I got a few fry sucked into the filter outlets so I lowered the air, and stuffed a spongy material into the filter outlet to slow the suction.

I tried to feed the parents but most times they were busy guarding the eggs and food just sank to the bottom, they did not seek them out like they used to. After the fry hatched I had to use powder food like sera micron which also cloud up the water. With all that going on and a much slower filter running, my tank got really yucky really quick.

I didn't know what to do. I thought about isolating all the fry but they are so small I don't think I can get them all, and I am concerned the parents will freak out so I let them be...but I had to do something to the tank water and the gravel that is getting really yucky, and any attempt to go near the fry the parents go crazy and attack me.

I decided to take the drastic approach. While the fish were on the right side of the tank, I removed all the rocks and plants on that side. Then I completely stirred up the gravel so all the junk are in the water. I waited 30 minutes for it to settle down, then I use the hose to siphon off the water along with the settled junk on top of the gravel. By doing this on different parts of the tank I believe I got a lot of junk out of ther gravel.

I have previously used the "hoover" type water changer and they are supposed to allow you to "rinse" the gravel as they come up but they will fall back down allowing only the dirt to get sucked into the tube. That never worked for me. the gravel got sucked into the tube as well and they end up clogging the tube.

However, by doing what I did, I believe I strried a lot of bio nutrients into the water, and as a result now I have serious algae problem on the glass, on the rocks, on the plants.

I am not sure what I can do now to rectify this. I don't want to use algae killer that would kill off my plants too.

I would throw in a sponge filters (the kind that are hooked to an airpump, they are very cheap) aand keep the lights on a lot less to help limit the algae.

Doing water changes is a good idea but siphon the water into a bucket so you can see if you accidentally suck up any fry. Also you don't have to stir up the gravel at this time, just siphon it out up high so you are not sucking up the babies.

If you have some pictures of the tank we can advise more on the algae as different algae have different solutions for resolving the issue.

Back
Top Bottom