Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just decimated my Java Fern

It was growing beautifully with new leaves sprouting from the rhizome every week. Then I let my un-kempt mass of hornwort rest right on top of the java fern without really considering what could happen. It stayed this way for about 2 weeks...then today (after being gone for the weekend) I notice that 40% of the leaves on the java fern had deteriorated. Blackish brown/"holey"/ and very thin in appearance. I then realized my foley; hornwort with all of those masses of needles probably had been sucking every last nutrient out of the water before it could reach the java fern. I had only considered that the java fern would be fine in the shade of the hornwort as far as lighting was concerned...

Basically I trimmed the hornwort down to the 4 best 6" stems and tossed the rest of it out (it had grown large enough to occupy nearly 20% of my 29gallon tank).

How long should I expect it to take for the java fern to "heal"? Anything special I should do or pay attention to right now? (I am carefully monitoring my standard aquarium disolved compound levels to make sure I did not lose too much of my filtering ability by removing so much hornwort all at once).

Old 03-21-2004, 09:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Urk. Sorry pat; this once got lost in the mix. How is the java fern doing?

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I tried to see if some of the 1/2 damaged leaves would recover but I ended up having to remove all but 4 leaves. One which looked great had a brown stem going to the rhizome and the leaf popped off by itself. The remaining leaves are finally recovering and I have noticed 5 new leaf sprouts coming back.

I wanted to increase my CO2 a bit to help it grow faster but I found my tank KH to have dropped drastically (no CO2 for a week and I am starting to believe the hygrophila stripped Carbon from the carbonate in the water as it is growing uncrontrollably) and I don't want the PH to plummet. I'll have to start putting in small pinches of baking soda and start the CO2 up again (it was stopped in an attempt to control the hygrophila and hornwort growth).

Now I know that it takes nearly about 10 days to recover with a novice at the helm.

Tags
java, java fern

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com