I'm failing miserably this week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
Brand new fish have ch and another mystery ailment and now I can't keep easy plants alive.

So, what's the deal here? Nutrients, light or other? (fake corkscrew in the back, real one in front of it)

Attachments

• DSC00269.jpg
    DSC00269.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 65
what kind of lighting do you have over the tank? what size of tank? how much lighting?

The lighting is the stock bulb in the hood (28 watts I think). I was asking what to buy in another thread.

Parameters are showing negatives on ammonia and nitrite and nitrate is nearly undetectable. It's mostly RO water.

what size tank? i am going to guess its the low lighting. they are more of a medium light plant. what kind of stock do you have tehre still should be some nitrate.

I would agree. I kept vals under what might be considered medium light (130W PC over a 55 gallon) and they did quite well. Look into anubias, java moss, java fern, and maybe cryptocorynes for the lighting that you have.

what size tank? i am going to guess its the low lighting. they are more of a medium light plant. what kind of stock do you have tehre still should be some nitrate.

Well, up until the neon tetra disease hit, I had 20 Cardinals Tetras, 4 Columbian Tetras, 3 Corys and 1 Clown pleco in this 46 bowfront.

Still trying to figure out what replacement hood I can get that will work with the cover that's on the tank. Otherwise, I'll have to get a custom glass top made on top of it all.

well whats in it now? bigger tank with small stock of water weekly major water changes would surely cause the low nitrate. you might just have to go with a new hood. for now try anubias crypts moss and ferns see if they grow.

oh and i am a little slow to. try sags vs vals. vals tend to do better in harder water maybe thats causing some of it too. though until you have the higher watt light its hard to rule that out.

Back
Top Bottom