Is air stone needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicuz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan on keeping a few beginner plants (cryptocorynes, java fern, java moss, anubias) with no CO2.

Is an air stone going to be beneficial to my plants/fish or not?

I personally keep an air stone on all freshwater tanks. I have seen them save entire setups too many times to not use them. If the filter ever stops running and that is the only flow and aeration fish can start dying in as little as a few hours. An air stone alone can keep an entire tank going for a week or more.

I personally keep an air stone on all freshwater tanks. I have seen them save entire setups too many times to not use them. If the filter ever stops running and that is the only flow and aeration fish can start dying in as little as a few hours. An air stone alone can keep an entire tank going for a week or more.

Not everyone has battery air pumps or generators so what happens during a week long power outage due to a storm ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

To more directly answer your question in most circumstances an airstone is not needed. As long as you have a decent amount of surface agitation you should be fine. That being said, it won't hurt anything if you want one.

What kind of filter are are you using?

Not everyone has battery air pumps or generators so what happens during a week long power outage due to a storm ?

The point is that air stones alone can keep the tank running and fish living for a very long time if the filter stops running. Obviously this isn't the case if nothing has power.

I find it's important to keep a few on hand, but there's no need to run them continuously. They are very useful in case of a filter failure or a need to medicate.

In general? You're SOL

Me personally? I would unplug the airhose from the air pump and start blowing into it myself.

In all seriousness, I use them on all of my tanks for the sole reason that it means you're always just one piece of equipment away from an extra filter should you need one for whatever reason.

I had my little air stone save my tank last week. I unplugged the filter to feed the fish and when I went back to feed them I realized I forgot to plug in the filter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why do you unplug the filter when you feed the fish?

I use flake food do the filter causes alot of it to sink amd my fish dont eat it.

Do you not have anything to eat off the bottom like cories or loaches?

Pellets are cleaner to feed and fill them up better.

Only 2 fish 1 yellow lab and 1 rosey barb both of which I am trying to give away so I can restart the tank.

Edit: The stock list I have made for the restock does include ghost shrimp and otocinclus to help clean up. All the new fish will be under 3 inches when fully grown.

I agree with the pellets. Also, I would shut the filter off for just the reason you found. Too easy to forget to plug it back in. I usually leave mine on during water changes for the same reason.

Have you tried putting the fish on craigslist?

No, I do not have a working laptop to post to Craigslist. Was hoping someone here would take them.

The problem with a national forum like this is finding someone close to you. I would just post to craigslist from your phone.

Back
Top Bottom