Is this a good Co2 deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just went to my lfs to check out their Co2 options...

I was pleased with what I found. For $250 (Australian) I can get the whole set-up (intergrated bubble counter, pipes, valves, tank and all) including commplimentary unlimited Co2 refills from the store.
That makes NO running costs. :D

I have a 20g community tank with about 2watts per gallon, but I want a lush aquatic garden. At the moment my plants are really suffering.
I'm thinknig seriously with going with this store set-up, but they are only going to hold it for a few days...Just thought I'd run it past you guys to see what you think before I did anything drastic!...

Cheers.
Ry.

for Austrailia, its prolly not a bad price at all. and it would work on a larger tank if you ever upgraded.

Yeah, the guy at the store said it would be suitable for much larger tanks too.
I'm exited. I just re-aranged my aqua-scape (if i can call it that!) ready for some more plants...
I'll give it another day then I'll probably buy the set-up!
Glad you approve oh aquarium god. Can't wait to see the affects of Co2...and some actual plant growth!
Cheers.
Ryland. :D

oops sorry forgot to ask...
What do you mean by "for Australia, its prolly not a bad price at all."?
I'm guessing things tend to be more expesive over here? :(

Just out of curiosity...how much would you pay to get the same set-up (vague atm I know) I'm getting?
oh...and if that price is super low...perhaps bump it up a bit to make me feel better!? lol. :D

Cheers.
Ry.

I paid $50 for my 20# Aluminum CO2 tank, and $70 for the regulator and glass diffuser. Refills are $15 each, and I suspect my tank will last well over a year. All $$ are American Dollars.

So I set up for $135 and probably $15 every 12-18 months.

$50 for a 20lb tank is unheard of in my area. I paid $85 for a 5lb tank, and a bit over $100 for a 10lb tank.
Average cost of a Milwaukee regulator (dual gauge, solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter) is about $70 plus shipping.

So consider I paid about $150 for my first setup, and that didn't include a diffuser (so another $50 for my vortex reactor)

And yes, most aquarium components are a little more expensive in austrialia, due to currency conversion and also that most of your goods have to be shipped from over-seas, where ours are produced here.

On the flip side, many of your saltwater fish are much cheaper than what I pay in the middle of the US (landlocked state)

AU is about the same as a canadian dollar. This doesn't seem like a bad price at all to me. I looked into one at big als, to order it in it'd be over 230 dollars, done deal. Not including 15% tax here.

I believe that some area's have strict laws regarding high pressure cantainers. I know my mom had to get her oxygen tank certified before she could have it in our basement. She makes glass beads. Now she has an oxygen extractor, similar to what a hospital uses. Basically takes the nitrogen out of the air.

*edit*
Strict laws = stores that can gouge you for something simple like a container.

I think high pressure containers have to be 'stress tested' every so often here too, but not sure. I suppose when I fill it up again, the local CO2 dudes will let me know.

10# CO2 tanks are going on Ebay for $31 and $25 shipping, 20# is going for $50 and $30 shipping. A bit more than I paid, but still good deals I think. Used tanks are going for less, but you'd definitely want to test those. Regulators are going to $20 and up.

wow! those are good prices! i paid $100 for a new 20 lb aluminum tank, and $154 for a regulator and ph controller/monitor. it costs $30 to fill the tank here in the city!

Thanks for all of the guys, it was really helpful for me to compare prices...
becasue I didn't have a very good idea (just going on what was in the stikys) as to what a good price would be.
I think that these free re-fills are really going to be great!
Thanks again. I think I'm going to take the plunge! Wish me luck.
Cheers.
Ry.

ps. The guy at the store made the C02 set-up/function sound really easy resulting in great results in your tank. I was just wondering if it's possible to really stuff it all up? In other words, can adding C02 (in the right amounts) ever have an adverse affect on your tank?
or is it really as easy as turning it on and off everyday and keeping an eye on the parameters? 8O

You don't even have to turn it on/off daily. Just start very low in the amount you're injecting and test until you increase to desired levels. Once you get your stuff set you can run 24/7 until your bottle's nearly empty. You do have to keep up testing but as long as things continue to stay stable it's just pH and Kh checks.

I agree, CO2 injection is remarkably maintenance free once you get it set up! Good luck.

I was just wondering...my tank's in my room and the filter doesn't make much noise but would the bubbles from the C02?...or the gas? just wondering...
I'm a light sleeper you see... :roll:
Ry.

My CO2 setup makes no noise at all. The filter is probably going to be MUCH louder than the CO2 bubbles. I'd be surprised if you could hear the CO2 breaking the surface if no other noise was in the room other than possibly the sound similar to a glass of soda sitting on the counter in a glass.

please. anyone else feel free to comment.

I don't know why it's so hard/expensive to grow some plants.
I've done my research but can't find the answers.
Surely someone here can tell me how to grow plants in a noramal 20g (2watts per gallon) community tank?
anthing helps.
Ry.

I recently switched to Pressurized CO2. It was easy to set up, it took me 30 minutes to convert my DIY CO2 to pressurized. As for noise... the only thing I hear is a faint "chirping" as the micro bubbles come out of my air stone.

Plants are like fish in that some of them have evolved to such specialized conditions of water that taking them out of those conditions is basically the same as if you were put in an atmosphere with 10% or 40% oxygen instead of 21%. Either way you're going to be unhappy, and it's the same for the plants. They have evolved to like things just so.

Other plants, like some fish, have evolved to deal with changing conditions. These plants will be easier to raise. I haven't ever looked it up, but I bet a plant like Anacharis is considered a weed or pest plant by some where it is a native plant. But it is very hardy in the aquarium!

Back
Top Bottom