Java fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angels4thawin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well so far I've been hopeless at keeping my aquatic plants alive :bawl:and distaste using artifical plants. So was wondering if Java fern was any good I heard the require little maintanance and could survive in various light and water conditions.What do you think ? Any informarion and tips would be much appreciated!:thanks:

Java fern is just about as easy and low maintenance as it gets. What size tank and what kind of light do you have?

Yeah, java fern, anubias, and java moss are pretty indestructable. I've totured my ferns and anubias and they're still kicking it. I've kept them in buckets with barely any light for weeks (i forgot about them), they've been covered in algae, one fern was left out of the water for a few days... so, IMO you can't go wrong with those starting out.

I have a 180 liter tank light Im not to sure what kind of light it is it's not to bright been on a budgetso have'nt changed the bulb in a while

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but do the java fern's rhizome's need to be uncovered, or can you bury them?

They seem to like larger gravel. I had one planted for only a couple of weeks and went to attach it to DW and it had wrapped it's roots around the gravel already.

if you want easy to grow,indestructible plants,try java moss,ive got a bunch in my 10.some was sucked into my filter,and is growing in it.

18 watts of light over a 180 liter tank? Is that right? If so, you haven't been able to grow any plants because your lighting levels (intensity - not duration) are not enough to sustain plant life.

As a rough rule of thumb;

Low light plants need 1-2 watts per gallon
Medium light plants need 2-3 watts per gallon
High light plants need 4+ watts per gallon

Of course this rule is quite subjective and tends not to be applicable to small and large tanks.

As it stands your tank is receiving roughly 0.3 wpg. I'm afraid all plants will find the conditions quite difficult.

Check out the articles section for more info. Those will tell you your options and not all of them require a huge investment.

Back
Top Bottom