java fern babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a big fat java fern today... for straight from the lfs this thing is pretty huge.

The biggest leaf is on it's way out... it is in rough shape, but it is sprouting babies. I don't know what to do with them! I have had java fern do this before, but after it was established in my tank. Should I just attach it as usual? Or to the baby leaves come off?

Nothing wrong with keeping the same routine. Once the baby leaves are ready, they will fall off on their own. You can pull it off it the leaves are robust enough. I usually wait until I see 4-6 leaves.

There are 5 leaves already. So when they fall off, is it best to just leave them be, or should I attach them to something?

I attach them after letting them float around the tank for a couple of days. You just have to make sure they don't get caught up in any eddy's, which will harm them.

I have some very small (1/4 inch or less) java fern babies floating in a big plastic cup. They have grown a lot just being in the cup. They're big enough now to be tied to a rock and put back in the tank.

Okay, I will just let the plant be and watch out for them when they come off. I'll just cut the big leaf once it has finished dying and sending forth it's next generation... :D

Back
Top Bottom