Java fern growing roots out if the levees.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok. So I noticed my java fern growing roots out of the bottom of some levees, with small levees starting to grow above them. Is this how they reproduce? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398469349.103344.jpg

The leaves producing the leaflets will die off eventually. Once the new leaflets get to be about an inch tall they(and the roots/rhyzome) can be easily removed by hand from the old leaf and placed elsewhere as a new plant! If there are no other leaflets growing on the old leaf I always trim it off and make way for new growth.

The leaves producing the leaflets will die off eventually. Once the new leaflets get to be about an inch tall they(and the roots/rhyzome) can be easily removed by hand from the old leaf and placed elsewhere as a new plant! If there are no other leaflets growing on the old leaf I always trim it off and make way for new growth.

That's kinda what I thought. I appreciate the advice. I'll let them grow then plant them in other places in the tank.

Since you were able to help with that can you identify this plant. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398528282.597458.jpg
I got it at petco and I have thrown away the container. They are growing pretty good.

Very pretty! How big was it when you planted it? It looks a lot like the tops of my Giant Hygrophilia or temple plant, but that's usually sold as a stem plant at 5-10 inches tall. Mine have exploded to the top of my tank, but here's one that I trimmed off and replanted... Ignore the nasty Java Fern below it that I found in my filter intake tube and am trying to rehab!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398547701.331466.jpg

What type of lighting do you have? I too would also like to grow that plant.

Back
Top Bottom