Java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graucow

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do you get Java moss or another plant to attach to something also how do you make a plant carpet across your substrate

i tie my moss down, and after a while the moss will take hold by itself. i have never made a moss carpet though.

I posted a similar question recently and got some good ideas. You might search "java moss" to find the thread.

Thread or fishing line is usually the prefer choice to use to tie down Java moss. Is what I always use.

Moss wall

You can use mesh plastic needlepoint canvas and sew the moss onto the plastic canvas.

These panels can be purchased from the local hobby store and even wallyworld. The craft stores have different shapes like 6 & 8" circles and 4" squares. You can also cut them to any shape.

I have made some in different shapes like circles and mostly used them as a panel. I had a moderate long term success, as in a year of keeping the panel in the back of my tank.

here is a part of my comments from a previous post on the topic
...I would do it with a needlepoint plastic panel, weighted down with fishing weights, not lead ones. Just see how people make panels, basically you sew it to the plastic panel.

http://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Count-P...lepoint+canvas

I imagine you could use stainless steel but would be expensive.

Would sew in weights every inch or so too around the edges, so the fish and critters wouldn't get stuck underneath it and drown, (and also every few inches underneath) that is the main problem I can see, it floating up and a fish getting stuck.

Why do you want to use this as a ground cover?"

I just think plants look incredible when they carpet

I agree about how good they look. Check into a moss panel or even a circle hanging covered in moss. It too about 8 months for my moss to really grab ahold of the driftwood but that is with low light and low ferts. I have had friends who could cover
dw in 3 to 4 month when using c02.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391460257.270053.jpg

Basically just out it onto your wood etc and wrap it with loads of cotton. Looks real ugly for a Few weeks and the moss just takes off. Shape it by giving it a hair cut every few weeks and voila.

How do you get Java moss or another plant to attach to something also how do you make a plant carpet across your substrate

Best method of making a moss carpet or wall is to buy some needlepoint plastic (plastic with all the little holes in it) and cut two pieces the same size. Sandwich the moss between the two pieces and tie the pieces together with fishing line or thread. Soon you will have a carpet or wall for your viewing pleasure. Search "java moss wall" on youtube and you will find a step-by-step guide.

Hey ackropj
What is that red nosed fish you have toward the bottom right in you picture?

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sweet thanks

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, they are rummy Jose tetra. Lively black and white striped tail.

Subwassertang Rock

Here is a pic of my Subwassertang grown on a river rock (these are taken from the local river rock facility, but are our landscaping rocks.)

Just used fishing line to tie them on. For people who might not have fishing line, you can usually buy some fishing fly tying line which is often sold in a smaller spool, colored in a natural way to blend with the river environment.

I did the same thing with my moss and they are growing well. I like the stones as you can move them around easily to clean under or to accent special areas of your tank. In regards to the Subwassertang, it seems to like to float around a lot even when tied onto something. Especially as it is getting started to grow and for me with low lights and not a aggressive fertilizing schedule it takes awhile for it to get started.

Other than just letting it grow wherever it wants to loose, this tying it to the stone has been the most successful. Not had great luck tying it to DW as I have a bunch of baby Bristlenose Plecos who like to shimy around on the DW and knock it out of place.

Oh, and a baby Ramshorn snail exploring for food...
60074-albums12946-picture65236.jpg

I glue it on rocks or DW with any cyanocrylate based glue, like Krazy glue, Super glue, it's not toxic for aquariums.

Some tie them, but I hate to tie, it get me frustrated.

It look like this on my lava rocks on the left:
247070DSC04588.jpg

Just glue little frags of moss a bit everywhere, and you'll get huge rock ball.

I glue it on rocks or DW with any cyanocrylate based glue, like Krazy glue, Super glue, it's not toxic for aquariums.

Some tie them, but I hate to tie, it get me frustrated.

It look like this on my lava rocks on the left:
247070DSC04588.jpg

Just glue little frags of moss a bit everywhere, and you'll get huge rock ball.

I may need to try that! It looks awesome!

The best you can use is gel super glue, it's easier to work with...

So look for the gel and verify that is the formulation you referenced above? Next time I am at the store I will grab a tube just to be sure I have it on hand. I have heard of this but been nervous to try it :ermm: Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom