Java Moss: thinning, less dark green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintastic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My big bunch of moss was good for quite some time. Many months now.

Recently, the moss is thinning, drifting and loosing colour.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Neill

What kind of light and what size tank?

What are your nitrates testing at?

Are you adding any fertilizers?

fort384 said:
What kind of light and what size tank?

What are your nitrates testing at?

Are you adding any fertilizers?

Hi. 64 litre with night (blue) and day (white) fluorescent tubes. Adding a fertiliser weekly. Nitrates are usually ok to slightly high during cycles between changes.

Had been running blue at night and both during day. With moss issue have gone to blue at night and white during day

That's actually a bad idea. Plants must have a real night cycle in order to switch from their photosynthesis cycle to their recovery cycle where they take in oxygen and expel co2. A dim blue LED moonlight is a much better option. I'm actually having an issue with my moonlights causing algae to grow right where it shines on the plants. I decided to replace my dead blue moonlight with a combination of the TruLumen 1000K and blue moonlights and even though these are only on for four hours it's just enough light to cause algae problems for my 20h. Together they are not quite dim enough LEDs for night time use (at least for a 20h) but still produce way less light than your bulb. I realize this is a different issue from yours but they both come from a similar source, to much light at night. Try using your fluorescent lights during your 7-10 hour photoperiod and consider trying a small LED moonlight for nighttime viewing.

Great advice and with thanks. I'll look into the LED and going to 7-10 hr photo period.

Picking up again on this thread of going to 7-10 hour daylight cycle with white and blue fluorescents and then only small LED for nighttime viewing. Any thoughts on brands for LED "moonlight' 64 litre aquarium) and max wattage? Is strip type the way to go? Want to have just enough to view, but not continue contributing to plant photosynthesis etc. Any advice welcome.

Back
Top Bottom