Jeff's Experimental Carpet/ 20 Long Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I decided to try a moss carpet out of plain old java moss in my 20 Long.
To my surprise it turned out great. So I guess I'll share the technique.

You'll need:
1.)Lots of java moss. The more the better. And also not be adverse to letting some die as much of it won't receive enough light.
2.)Needlpoint Mesh Available in a number of colors at hobby lobby or other craft stores in many colors. I got a few black sheets for 49 cents each.
3.) Fishing line
4.) Some sort of weights- rocks or something else that's easy to tie on. Needlepoint mesh floats. I don't suggest lead or non-leaded fish weights. Heavy metals are a no-no for shrimp which are needed to maintain this mess. I used some ceramic rings from my filter.

Here we go!

Making the moss things.
moss.png

That is a lot of moss. I had maybe .5lb in dry weight of the stuff.

dsc01637jo.jpg

Make sure you lay it on thick Afterwords you should take the top panel and then make some bigger holes in it to let water circulate a little better. Then sew it around the edges every 2-3cm making a loop through the mesh. The java moss was prepared by brushing it with the tooth brush because there was some hair algae and U gibba mushed in it.

dsc01684e.jpg

Finished product.
dsc01687t.jpg
FTS 1-16-11
dsc01699.jpg

Only 14 days later. 1-30-11

Awesome!

Looking good. Keep the photos coming as it matures even more.

Thanks. Here are tank specs:

Hagen 2x24 T5HO (I just love their fixture, it's really no hassle even if it's a bit pricey)
Hagen Fluval 305- 1000L/H flow rate.
Caribsea Flormax I know adg is in houston but I'm on a budget so I grabbed it on sale at petsmart.
Stones- texas quartzite
Flora: Java moss and E. Acicularis

Fauna will be: Zebra Danios and RCS. Well maybe not Zebras I might just do shrimp. I'm getting bored of fish....Plants are more fun.

Hey crepe
Thats awesome man!!

Just found your link searching for Carpet growth on the forum.

Saw a great deal on AquaBid for glosso. Grabbed 8 pots for 29 bucks shipped. I'm replacing the moss with glosso. The moss is a huge headache. I'm getting U Gibba and hair algae galore. I'm positive had I more patience I could pull it off but I'm not patient at all.

I realized the java moss was also acting as a safe haven for my bladder snail problem. There were literally globs of eggs sticking the needlepoint mesh to the substrate underneath the mesh. The mulm build up was fueling some serious filamentous diatom and hair algae too. It's not something I want to put up with. Just going with something I've had lots of experience with and well how can you argue with 8 whole pots of glosso?

Also got two pots of giant hair grass. Haha a friend of mine, who also helped me arrange the rocks told me that I needed something higher in the back. I'm probably going to redo the lay out at the end of march during spring break. The hill I made degraded fast.

Woo! Just ordered up a paintball ASA, needle valve, and 3 coil ceramic diffuser. No more yeast for this tank!

Back
Top Bottom