JOM's 20g Long Rescape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
The time has come when I want to redo my 20 long. With that includes changing out the substrate, which won't be an easy task in a tank full of RCS (red cherry shrimp). :)

The substrate right now is ADA Aquasoil 2, which has been in the tank for over a year (maybe 2 years) and has pretty much turned to mud. I was aware that this could happen when I decided to use this substrate and while it grows plants very well, I cannot take the mud turned to dust whenever its disturbed...anymore.

This tank is on the bottom of a double stand and while they are good for people with limited space, I find it hard to maintain this tank as I have to pretty much lay in the floor to clean/scrape/ plant plants. I'm tired of this. :cool:

So I put my boyfriend to work (he's too good to me) and came up with a plan to build a stand (DIY style) and redo this tank. It was easier (in my mind) to buy a new 20 long, build the stand, then setup the new tank and move the shrimp/fish over after that...along with the established filters of course.

So here are the "pre-scape" pics to give you a hint as to what this journal might entail:

img_1129783_0_653166565f7dae4d87c9c501df7edc22.jpg

stand, almost completed (the stand build will be in its own DIY stand thread)

img_1129783_1_7c41d2ed3abe6df4c41953ca483571c3.jpg

seiryu stones/rocks

img_1129783_2_0a225d607951cde07e347c8721601044.jpg

substrate

img_1129783_3_672f01de7dcc056ec51cedab157a3a7c.jpg

pic of actual substrate (I don't buy that no water change stuff)

Specs:

Tank: 20g Long
Substrate: Azoo Plant Grower Bed dark
Lighting: 2x24w T5HO Nova Extreme with Giesemann Midday and Aquaflora Bulbs
Fish/Shrimp: CPDs (not sure how many are in there), numerous Red Cherry Shrimp, lone Boraras merah (will be adding more in the future)
Plants: Java ferns (narrow leaf, needle leaf, regulars), Anubias (nana, nana petite), Crypts (wendtii 'red', wendtii 'tropica', wendtii 'green', willisii), Staurogyne repens, Marsilea minuta, Weeping moss, and Vallisneria nana
Hardscape: Seiryu stones/rocks, Manzanita wood (in the current 20L tank)

So basically, I am waiting to put the doors and sides on the stand so that I can set the tank up. I will be getting some plants in the mail this week and plan on setting the tank up probably Wed.

Last edited:
I put the doors and the sides of the stand on today. Tomorrow I will set the tank up and if I don't move the shrimp over tomorrow, I will Friday! Pics to come!

I set the tank up last night and arranged my hardscape (rocks and wood). Then tonight I removed the plants from the old 20g and planted them in the new tank. It took me longer than I thought, so I didn't move the shrimp over. I'll let the plants settle tonight and let the water warm up. Its pretty cloudy from the planting and I did a small water change, but it should settle tonight.

Plants:
Marsilea minuta
Java fern
Anubias nana
Anubias nana 'petite'
Vallisneria nana
Cryptocoryne wendtii (red, green, and 'florida sunset')
Cryptocoryne willisii
Staurogyne repens

Fish/Inverts:
Red Cherry Shrimp
Boraras merah (currently only have 1, will be getting 7-9 more)

I do not think I have any CPDs left in the old 20g. :(

Here is what you all want to see....the pics! (click for bigger)

Attachments

• DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 20g left.jpg
    20g left.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 20g middle.jpg
    20g middle.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 20g right.jpg
    20g right.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I got the shrimp and fish moved over 2 nights ago (still getting shrimp out of the old 20g and moving them...I almost have them all!).

I ended up having 3 CPDs, 1 Boraras merah, and a bunch of RCS. I'll be getting more CPDs and Boraras to have groups of 8 of each (atleast).

I still have a few plants to plant (just received them today), but everything else is in there.

Now for updated pics!

2 FTS and a couple shrimp closeups. :)

Attachments

• 20g close.jpg
    20g close.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20L 2.jpg
    20L 2.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 96
  • baby shrimp.jpg
    baby shrimp.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 93
  • rcs.jpg
    rcs.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 91
More shrimp pics. It's amazing what a tripod can do for a picture. :D

Attachments

• little rcs.jpg
    little rcs.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 76
  • rcs 2.jpg
    rcs 2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 68
  • rcs close.jpg
    rcs close.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 84
Is that only one bag of Azoo? If so I think I'm going to go switch to that substrate. How's the ammonia leakage on that? I heard that amazonia leaks ammonia like someone basically took granulated clay and peed all over it.

Looking great right now btw.

Thanks! I used 2 bags of Azoo. I could have used a little more, but 2 bags was fine.

There was no ammonia leaching with the Azoo....it looks and smells like Aquasoil but no ammonia and it doesn't cloud as bad when you disturb it. Aquasoil leaches ammonia for weeks. One of the cons of it. It will cycle a tank for ya though.

I'm terrible at updating journals. :p

Here are some new pics...although comparing them to my last pics, I think I have the settings on my camera set different/wrong.

FTS:
20l9110.jpg

20lyp.jpg

Shrimps:
shrimps.jpg

I must have the white balance on something different. :rolleyes:

Everyone is doing well...shrimp are reproducing, plants are filling in. I see noticeable growth in the Marsilea minuta and Anubias.

I've had some diatoms on the glass, but I'm sure its from changing the substrate out.

Next step for this tank is to buy a new filter....Eheim 2213. I'll run it along with the AC20 for 2-3 weeks and then move the AC20 to a 5.5g I'll be setting up.

What lake or river is that? Its a fish tank? No, cant be. Looks great. Well done!

Back
Top Bottom