laterite vs. flourite in a discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90 gallon tank with seven discus fish. I have a CO2 injector and the pH is about 6.7. I want to have a few swords and cripts in my tank. Which will be better, laterite or flourite and why? With whatever substrate you guys help me pick out, do you suggest heated cables at the bottom of the tank? Also, I don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg.

Lastly, what other plants do good in a tnak with a temp around 84 degrees?

I would recommend going with Flourite, or even EcoComplete over laterite, because layered substrates are more difficult to maintain. Since you aren't planning to plant very heavily, you could even skip the plant substrate altogether. Instead use a gravel you like and place root tabs under the plants to provide the extra nutrients they need. There is very little evidence that substrate heating cables provide any benefit for plants, so I would skip that expense.

How much light will the tank have? While crypts will do well in low light, most swords like at least medium light.

You stated that you have a CO2 injector, what exactly are you going to be using?

You could browse Tropica to see what other plants will fit your needs. Their temp suggestions are listed in Celcius, so some conversion will be necessary.

flourite is a complete substrate. Laterite is an additive. flourite will last 100 years or more. laterite needs to be replaced every 1-2 years, and since it goes below the other gravel, you're talking about a significant ordeal to remove all substrate, re=laterite, and replace the substrate.

the discus won't like that at all.

the only problem is flourite will cloud ur tank like a swamp for about a day and then when u move any of it around it has little puffs but they clear up faster and faster each time it is disturbed. I just put plants in my flourite today.

You should see laterite. its a lot like kitty litter...a soft clay. it'll muck up the water far worse than flourite...which is why laterite cannot be the top layer of substrate.

Back
Top Bottom