lead weights--yes or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazycat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i just got a shipment of plants. a lot of them came with lead weights on them. the shipper says he never takes the weights off. i usually do--but he's really knowledgable, so now i'm questioning.

what does everyone else do? on or off?

what does it look like becuase the ones that come on the ones from the lfs are strips that are grayish and i dont tkae those off but ive never bought any from online, i think ive read somewhere on here that your not supposed to use fish weights if those are like that

I always take out the lead weight then plant the tank in the substrate.I have never lef the lead weights on so I don't know what would happen but rich311k is probably right.

1. they aren't lead...they are zinc/nickel alloy.

2. you don't need em. I've never had to use weights to hold down any plants. If they are planted properly, they won't float.

3. plant weights tend to rot the stem when left on...another reason not to use them.

Another angle from a big Pleco owner...

:idea: I make rings out of silver solder (like that used in potable water plumbing). I just cut several inches off the coil and wrap it tightly around a Bic pen. Withdraw the pen without unwrapping the coil. Cut the coil all along the lenth in a straight line to create multiple rings. Open the ring up enough to slip over the stem of a problem plant and then close it up to keep it there. Bingo, no more floaters and no worry about lead in the tank.

I'v only ever tried it with bulb plants. I keep the rings big enough to provide PLENTY of gorwing room, but not so big that the bulb can slip through.

Those big Plecos (or Loaches, or Ciclids, etc) can really do a number on your aquascaping over the course of one rowdy night!

i hear you on the loaches and the plecos--haven't been able to grow a carpet yet because of my pesky loaches. however, i doubt your idea would work with glosso ;) it's a good idea for some of the bigger plants...

My bro hashbaz cut up some plant weights and placed them on individual stems of anacharis. The stems didn't rot and stayed in place.

Back
Top Bottom