Leaf & Drift wood Algae Eater Advice For Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been running a high functioning 55 gallon planted tank for about 5 years now. I have amazing canister filtration, bar heater, and high quality plant lights. Fish include 5 large Congo Tetras, 7 Pristella maxillaris, 10 Harlequin Hasbora, 3 Bronze Corydoras, 1 Corydoras Trilineatus and 4 Otocinclus.

I have drift wood, lava rock and live plants that develop large amounts of algae and I need a non aggressive small to medium sized hardy algae eater to tackle this chore. What species do you recommend?

No Chinese Algae eaters, maybe a small species of Pleco or something? I am also worried about plant damage as some algae eaters eat plants also. I need something small to medium sized that won't eat plants or strip my fish of scales.

I really like your aquascapes and selection of fish. I also appreciate your talent. We share the same philosophy about the artistic side of the hobby. As for a simple efficient algae eater, I would recommend the Bristlenose Pleco. My favorite Pleco, with a lot more bling, is the Gold Nugget. Both stay relatively small and don't usually tear up plants.

Attachments

• 20170521_132042.jpg
    20170521_132042.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 79
I have been running a high functioning 55 gallon planted tank for about 5 years now. I have amazing canister filtration, bar heater, and high quality plant lights. Fish include 5 large Congo Tetras, 7 Pristella maxillaris, 10 Harlequin Hasbora, 3 Bronze Corydoras, 1 Corydoras Trilineatus and 4 Otocinclus.

I have drift wood, lava rock and live plants that develop large amounts of algae and I need a non aggressive small to medium sized hardy algae eater to tackle this chore. What species do you recommend?

No Chinese Algae eaters, maybe a small species of Pleco or something? I am also worried about plant damage as some algae eaters eat plants also. I need something small to medium sized that won't eat plants or strip my fish of scales.
what comes to mind for me is a bushy nosed placo and or Nerite Snail.( these snails do not breed in freash water) Another alge buster are Otocinclus Catfish
Google these and get back with us :)

I really like your aquascapes and selection of fish. I also appreciate your talent. We share the same philosophy about the artistic side of the hobby. As for a simple efficient algae eater, I would recommend the Bristlenose Pleco. My favorite Pleco, with a lot more bling, is the Gold Nugget. Both stay relatively small and don't usually tear up plants.

Thank you I also was thinking about the bristle nose pleco, maybe a dwarf version.

what comes to mind for me is a bushy nosed placo and or Nerite Snail.( these snails do not breed in freash water) Another alge buster are Otocinclus Catfish
Google these and get back with us :)
Probably won't do snails but if you read I already have four Otocinclus catfish, maybe I just need more for this sized tank?

Probably won't do snails but if you read I already have four Otocinclus catfish, maybe I just need more for this sized tank?
oops sorry I skimed your 1st post and missed the ottos , but even so more would be better for a 55 gal tank

another great alge buster are busy nosed pleco , I have seen them in different colors
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Bushy Nose Pleco Bristlenose Plecostomus and seeing that you already have drift wood which these guys need to survive , that would be a plus

For Me Nerite Snails are interesting as they can not breed in fresh water and they add some eye catching coulors to the tanks check this out
Amazon.com
But hey, if snails are not your cup of tea cool ! :) to each their own

The Clown Pleco was a good choice. I'm glad they settled in so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom