Light advice, please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I have a 29g tank that's 16 inches deep. I've been looking at multiple light fixtures, and so far I have my eyes on the Finnex Planted +. I'm going to be starting a carpet (most likely HC), so I'll have to consider the depth of the tank, and I'm not exactly sure if the Planted + will suffice. Any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I think for HC a good fertilizing substrate and CO2 injection is more important than super high light...but I may be wrong...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I believe HC needs all three (high lighting, ferts, CO2) to do well.
The planted+ PAR values are published somewhere on this forum. If I can locate them I will post it here. This will be helpful for determining your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I believe HC needs all three (high lighting, ferts, CO2) to do well.
The planted+ PAR values are published somewhere on this forum. If I can locate them I will post it here. This will be helpful for determining your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you referring to this post?

Finnex RAY II & FugeRAY PAR Data

They don't have the PAR values for the Planted +, but I would imagine it's slightly above the Fugeray and slightly below the Ray2. However, the values mean nothing to me, as I am not as adept at lights as I would want to be :( I guess the question to be asked is: What PAR value would be sufficient for a 16 inch deep tank? Thanks for your help!

I'm running a planted+ on my 29g and would agree that the par probably falls a bit below the ray2. I've never tried HC in it but if I were to guess I'd say it might be a little on the weaker side for it, although as already mentioned the co2 and ferts would play a significant role in deciding that. Have you considered Monte Carlo as an alternative to HC? Could be a good option if you go with the planted+ as I had no problem getting it to carpet on both EcoComplete and aquasoil. If your goal is HC though a better option might be to look at an Exocotic e-series (much more powerful and also dimmable, although light distribution is a little acute) or hold out for one the new lights Finnex is supposedly launching in the next few months. You could also experiment with one planted+ and if necessary double up later down the line.

Sent from my iPad using science

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom