Light and substrate questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok got 2 questions. I am setting up a 36 gallon bowfront soon. I plan on using ecocomplete as the substrate but should I add a bag of flourite as well? Also will regular black gravel below the ecocomplete hurt anything? I am making lots of hills so the gravel is cheaper lol

Secondly what light would grow crypts, anubias, and dwarf sageteria (on a shelf and closer to the light therefore).

Thanks and God bless!

I don't think you'd need too powerful of a light to grow those plants. Something like a Dual T5HO or solid LED light would work. I personally wouldn't mix flourite with Eco Complete. I would just stick to using Eco-only. I suppose you could do an under layer of the black sand, to go cheaper, however I would personally want it to be all the same.

If you use black gravel under the Eco, the Eco will eventually work it's way down under the gravel since the Eco is smaller. Just as if you add black sand over Eco which many people do, the sand will work it's way down under the Eco since the sand is smaller grained. Some people just mix sand with Eco, and if you use the new "Fine" Eco you could do half and half. It will be cheaper if that's what your looking for and the black sand will stay better mixed with Eco fine grade.

Ok thanks yall! And what light fixture would you recommend exactly? I want to use one fixture only if possible. I also was considering DIYing some compact flourescents but I need to be sure its safe first.

Back
Top Bottom