Substrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've used the same old blasting sand/aquarium gravel substrate my entire life. My mom used it before me. She grew, and I've grown, tons and tons of aquarium plants of various types in it. But it's time for a change.

I have a used 125 gallon tank. This is going to be my winter project, so no rush. My question; I've seen people talk in some other forums about using Black Diamond blasting sand as substrate. What are the pros/cons?

Sometimes it seems to come with an oily film. It is sharp-ish, if you have fish which might like to bury themselves or or sort through the sand for food, like Loaches or Cories. It is kind of lower priced.

I have never used it but I have used other sand from sandblasting suppliers, including Garnet sand. Which are really economical because it comes from a supplier rather than a "pet" store. I have paid around $18. for probably 40 or 50 lb bag (can't remember, it's been a couple years.) No doubt prices went up by now.
https://unitedwesterndenver.com/ this is our local large supplier. I pick it up locally in person, so there is no shipping. They were so very helpful with my fish tank (and not sand blasting) needs in discussing the sharpness of the sand and sizes. Unsure if all places would /could be that helpful.

Back
Top Bottom