Light colored substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deb_unlimited

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planting a couple of 10 gallon tanks and want to use very light colored sand for the bottom. I know I need something else for the plants to be healthy. I have Eco-Complete which I plan to use in my 30 gallon because I want a dark substrate for my fish. What can I use in the smaller tanks that won't look awful with the white sand layer?

Sand works fine.

But I have to say with the planted tank and light/white sand I got sick of mine pretty quick due to the crumbly muck especially coming off of driftwood, not looking the best, even with routine vac, which tends to pull up plants/roots so for me is a no win situation. Just a thought, black sand and natural sand (y)

I had white sand for almost 2 years no problem when I didn't have a planted tank! lol

Two layer look

I agree, or you could use a layer of
Eco-complete with a deep sand cap

That's what I used initially but it looks like a layer cake. I suppose I could vary the depth of the Eco so that it isn't very thick in front where there aren't many plants and have it thicker away from the glass. Then I won't have the two-layer look. I think I answered my own question. Hey thanks all for giving my brain a good stir! I currently have playground sand in the tank and I may just use that instead of the really fine stuff.

That's what I used initially but it looks like a layer cake. I suppose I could vary the depth of the Eco so that it is very think in front where there aren't many plants and have it thicker away from the glass. Then I won't have the two-layer look. I think I answered my own question. Hey thanks all for giving my brain a good stir! I currently have playground sand in the tank and I may just use that instead of the really fine stuff.

Haha, yeah, I don't like that layered look as well and varying the depth of each substrate so that you only see what you want to see is a good idea. Playground sand should do fine and I used that really fine stuff in one of my past tanks and I found that it was always a mess and cloudy.

Back
Top Bottom