Lighting and Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desastre

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've done alot of reading but I'm still a bit uncertain. I have a 55 g tank with anubias, cryptos, java fern and still deciding on one last low light plant. My lighting is two t12 40w 6k I leave on 8 hrs a day with a one hour break in between. My filters are a aquaclear 50 and a penguin 150 from old tank to carry over beneficial bacteria. My substrate is sand.
My questions are
1. Their are mini co2 boosters on sale should I buy a couple or with my lighting and selection of plants I'm good.
2. I'm planning to have a good 20 fish mixed of cores mollys and platys so should I keep the penguin past a week.
3. Are my lights ok so I don't promote algae or starve my plants. I dont mind slow growth.
I dose with flourish excel ATM

Any feedback would be kewl

I also have 5 nerite snails and who knows how many trumpet snails under my sand doing their job since kuhli loaches are impossible to find I'n PR.

I had a houselight shining on the tank wife doing her hair. Lol

Attachments

• image-982629242.jpg
    image-982629242.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 56
Excel is a 'co2 booster' of sorts. It's a source of carbon. If you're dosing that, there's no need to waste money on any other 'carbon boosters'. I would suggest you get another AC50 though. I ran an ac50 on a 10g, and wouldn't recommend it for anything large than a 29g. Two would be ok for your tank though.

With lighting and plant choices CO2 is not needed. The Excel will do the job. It looks to me like you are off to a fine start.

Thank you very much you guys just saved me a hundred dollars. Also now I don't have a glass top on my tank other then my DIY wood type with my lightbulbs. Are they any recommendations of what I should get to put over the tank that's cheaper then what's I'n lps I can get from home depot. And I probably won't need the carbon that comes with the aquaclear I read so what should I buy I'n it's replacement.

I run biomedia, sponges and filter floss in my AC filters. Do you want an open top on the tank? Egg crate can work or you can go topless. None of my tanks have tops.

Also sorry for so many questions I read not to replace anything on the aqua clears to just rinse them I'n the water from pwc that the whole changing them is just the company trying to rob u. Trying to figure out the truth of this.

Yes I never replace the sponges, I give them a good rinse in dechlorinated water and reuse. I have some sponges that are 5 years old. The floss I just throw out and replace monthly. There is no need to buy and replace media unless the media is falling apart.

Forever great money saving advice. Tyvm. I'll go from their. I'll post pics as my tank comes along.

Back
Top Bottom