Lighting for planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have recently started to plant in my aquarium ( java fern, sword plants, dwarf hairgrass). I have a full spectrum t8 8,000k 15 W 18" bulb. Will this bulb suffice for m plants or what would be the best florescent lighting that I can use for my tank that will fit my 18" hood.

I have a very tall 155g tank that is 60" long and the hood has two T5 bulbs 48" in length.
Both bulbs are in the 6700k spectrum for plant growth.
I removed the original blue light, even though the tank itself looked awesome with it.

I have read that having only two 54w T5 lights for my set up is both (!) marginal and adequate by various sources.
I suspect it is certainly not optimal, but it appears to support moderate, if not decent growth so far.
My plants seem to be doing rather well, although I took care to emphasize purchasing low light plants.
I also add Flourish Excel daily and Flourish fertilizer weekly. I placed a fert root tab in the sand near each plant when installed.

My next step is to add pressurized CO2. I am just waiting for the regulator to arrive in the post.

I hope this info helps.

Tony

Yes, you can keep all of those just fine with that fixture. The shallow depth is the main reason. Swords aren't really appropriate for 10g tanks though. I had to toss one because it outgrew my 125g.

I wouldnt say it would keep them fine, I personaly would upgrade but I dont think that any planted tank should be without t5ho lighting or pendents.

CleverBs said:
I wouldnt say it would keep them fine, I personaly would upgrade but I dont think that any planted tank should be without t5ho lighting or pendents.

What is the best way to get a t5 setup at a low cost. All the ones ive seen are so expensive!

CleverBs said:

This is so utterly not true. High light will get you into trouble as fast as too little light will. Especially on shallow tanks like a 10g. There's really no point to high light if you're not growing things that need it, imo. CFLs are amazing, I have them on three of my four tanks, all planted.

For each task, a tool. High light on most tanks is a hacksaw on mashed potatoes.

aqua_chem said:
This is so utterly not true. High light will get you into trouble as fast as too little light will. Especially on shallow tanks like a 10g. There's really no point to high light if you're not growing things that need it, imo. CFLs are amazing, I have them on three of my four tanks, all planted.

For each task, a tool. High light on most tanks is a hacksaw on mashed potatoes.

Really?! That is awesome!! Are the CFLs in a hood or what? I definitely want to try it out!!

I have a 10g with two 10w cfls. My wisteria is bananas, and I have crypts and rotala indica growing in it too.

They don't event make t5s that fit 10g well.

Typical 10g dimensions. One of my cfls is dimmer than the other too. Thinkjng about upgrading to 13w bulbs.

It is an adequate amount of light. 2 13w cfls will probably br excel territory.

Hope you don't mind I have a few relevant question that this post could possible help...
Do fish need light? ( I feel like that's a stupid question)
Can you have to much light? Can that harm the fish?

I have a black Moor in a 10g (only a 2 week home while his tank is used for 6 live breeders to have there babies) I feel like the light is way to powerful/bright because when I turn it on he freaks out and seems disoriented

I've used a pair of 13w cfls over a 10 to keep a greenwater algae farm going, it can be pretty intense.

And no, fish don't really need lighting, I keep most of my tanks with ambient light only.

As far as too much light, it can't directly harm fish but some fish don't like it and will try to hide.

I would really like a t5 HO that can clip onto my 10 gallon and hover above the tank. What would be a lower priced t5 system that could do so??

mfdrookie516 said:
That would be overkill. A good option for PC lights would be 27W or 36W

Sorry I'm pretty new to the forum so I don't know alot of the lingo yet haha. What is a PC?

mfdrookie516 said:
That would be overkill. A good option for PC lights would be 27W or 36W

Okay got it now sorry. I saw the links. Could I put one of those fluorescent bulbs in the current fluorescent lighting I have now??

PC = power compact. That's also what aqua chem posted. Either fixture would work. I think the ones I posted are more asthetically pleasing, but I guess it's a matter of opinion.

But no, you can't put PC bulbs in a T8 fixture. They require different ballasts and sockets.

Back
Top Bottom