Lighting for planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PC = power compact. That's also what aqua chem posted. Either fixture would work. I think the ones I posted are more asthetically pleasing, but I guess it's a matter of opinion.

But no, you can't put PC bulbs in a T8 fixture. They require different ballasts and sockets.

Also cheaper :brows:

mfdrookie516 said:
PC = power compact. That's also what aqua chem posted. Either fixture would work. I think the ones I posted are more asthetically pleasing, but I guess it's a matter of opinion.

But no, you can't put PC bulbs in a T8 fixture. They require different ballasts and sockets.

You're right they are pretty awesome looking. I just might have to invest!

mfdrookie516 said:
That would be overkill. A good option for PC lights would be 27W or 36W

Also do you think the 36W would clamp onto a 10g with a black plastic rim. I notice in the pics that it is clamped on to a rimless tank

No problem. Now it's just a choice of cash over appearance haha. IMO, if you want to scrape by without co2, the 27w is going to be a better bet. The 36w would put you in the higher light category and probably require co2.

No problem. Now it's just a choice of cash over appearance haha. IMO, if you want to scrape by without co2, the 27w is going to be a better bet. The 36w would put you in the higher light category and probably require co2.

I would feel better with CO2 in either case, even if it's just supplementary, but the 36w will probably require it.

You can buy legs for either of the catalina fixtures so that it can sit directly on the tanks.

LEGS FOR LIGHTHOUSE AND SOLAR HOODS

The nice thing about those fixtures is you can raise them up off the surface to reduce the lighting (8" I think)... which is why I said they might scrape by without. I'd definitely agree that it would be a good idea, but it's not going to be needed nearly as much with the 27w as the 36w (agreeing again). Either way, co2 is one of those things where nearly everyone has varying opinions on the subject. And... what works for some doesn't always work for others.

Back
Top Bottom