lighting in planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So im trying to figured out the best lighting i can with my T8 fixture, My tank is a 60g hex tank that is just over 2ft deep.
For bulbs i have:
- 15w Ocean Sun 10,000k
- 15w aqueon floraMax
- 15w Aqueon ColorMax

my fixture does have the reflector metal in it... what is the best bulb for a t8 fixture to get my plants to grow

Hate to tell you this, but 15W T8's on a 2' deep tank is giving you nothing for plants. I would barely even consider that a low-light tank. If you want plant lighting for that deep of a tank, you're going to need a whole new fixture.

would some sort of leds penetrate deep enough?
or are T5s my only option?

do underwater lights hep plant growth??

I would like to figure something out that i could fit into my current fixture cover.. gut out the t8 system and just set the box over whatever lights i do get, so it all still looks uniform

Rapidled.com

You could also search for t5ho retrofit kits.

I dont think that finding lights will be so much the issue but more so knowing what kind to get...

so will the LEDs penetrate deep enough (around 2feet) what about double bright LEDs?

do under water LEDs help plant growth at all?

and do t5 penetrate deep enough or only certian kinds of T5s because i know their is the t5ho and the Vho and other ... SO CONFUSING!!!!!!!!!!!

rreekers said:

I dont think that finding lights will be so much the issue but more so knowing what kind to get...

so will the LEDs penetrate deep enough (around 2feet) what about double bright LEDs?

do under water LEDs help plant growth at all?

and do t5 penetrate deep enough or only certian kinds of T5s because i know their is the t5ho and the Vho and other ... SO CONFUSING!!!!!!!!!!!

According to Hoppy's lighting chart, with a 24" depth, 2 t5ho bulbs on top of tank is high light, 3 t5ho bulbs at 4 inches above tank is high light and 4 t5ho bulbs at twelve inches above tank is high light.

The proper LEDs with proper optics will penetrate 24" easily. The tighter the optics the more LEDs you will need for coverage. Contact the guys at RapidLED, they will be able to help you determine what you may want/need.

I seriously doubt double brights will touch 24". You can't go cheap on LEDs and get plants to grow at the same time.

I seriously doubt double brights will touch 24". You can't go cheap on LEDs and get plants to grow at the same time.

oh i understand.. i just dont know im clueless in this department.. thats why im asking question

thanks for being so helpful

Back
Top Bottom