Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CornerFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 48 gallon (if I remember correctly) pentagonal corner tank that is 25 inches tall. It has an 18-inch long bulb that came with the standard plastic hood. There is no way to put a longer bulb on it, though I could put on two of the same size (if I can find a hood/bulb socket thingy for it).

I want to grow plants - easy, low-light plants are fine for me - but don't think I have enough light. And, I'm not sure how to get enough light, quite frankly. I can't find 18" bulbs over 15W. Would two of those work? Right now I have a bit of java moss in there that is surviving, but not growing.

Would the same lighting needs exists if I turn my tank into a paludarium? The idea intrigues me.

with a tank that deep, youre going to have to up the wattage quite a bit really. Java moss is probably about the only thing that will make it, and thats questionable (looks like you've already figured that out). You'll probably have to go with a T5HO fixture to penetrate the water deep enough to give your plants any usable light.

prob want to switch to cf or t5 ho to get more light over that small area. maybe can get away with cfl bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom