Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silverton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I have a question about lighting. I want to have a planted tank, though I'm going to start off a little bit at a time. I have a 29 gal tank that I've just started fish less cycling. The bulb I have is about 8 years old but still functioning. I'm guessing I'm going to need a better light though. The one I have reads - F20WT12-AR-FS (or maybe the last letter is an 8. 20W - I bought a water primrose and what the salesman told me was a banana plant today, so I guess I should have asked this question earlier...

If it is a banana plant it should be obvious ie green bunch of banana shaped roots

Get a new bulb that is marketed for plant growth

Just because the light lights doesn't mean that is giving the proper spectrum ESP after 8 yrs

Gish said:
If it is a banana plant it should be obvious ie green bunch of banana shaped roots

Get a new bulb that is marketed for plant growth

Just because the light lights doesn't mean that is giving the proper spectrum ESP after 8 yrs

Thank you! I looked up a pic of a banana plant, and that's what it is. I'll go and pick up a new bulb tomorrow.

Here's a tip... A T8 bulb will, most likely, fit that T12 fixture. I have a 48" 40 watt T12 (originally) fixture that had a T10 bulb in it when I got it. Replaced it with a 32 watt T8 bulb, works perfect.

Running a T8 in a T12 will probably work, but it will noticeably shorten the lifespan of the bulb.

Also, WPG is rubbish. Do your research and you'll know that it's severely outdated.

blert said:
Here's a tip... A T8 bulb will, most likely, fit that T12 fixture. I have a 48" 40 watt T12 (originally) fixture that had a T10 bulb in it when I got it. Replaced it with a 32 watt T8 bulb, works perfect.

Well. I guess that all sounds good. Except I don't know what any of those T#'s actually mean. Please tell me those #'s will be on the box... Or maybe direct me to a useful website?

Gish said:
Also check your wattage. The general recs are 1-2 watts per gallon

Yeah, I was reading up on that a little while ago. Long ago when I had it set up before I just had fake plants. Thanks for the advice!

aqua_chem said:
Running a T8 in a T12 will probably work, but it will noticeably shorten the lifespan of the bulb.

Also, WPG is rubbish. Do your research and you'll know that it's severely outdated.
Did not know that. I figured it would be fine as it is rated for a 40 watt bulb and the one I have in is only a 32 watt. Care to elaborate as to why it would shorten the bulb's life span (not that it would really matter as T8s are a dime a dozen at big box hardware stores)? Will it damage the ballast?

Silverton said:
Well. I guess that all sounds good. Except I don't know what any of those T#'s actually mean. Please tell me those #'s will be on the box... Or maybe direct me to a useful website?
It is a size specification. It will say on the box/bulb.

blert said:
Did not know that. I figured it would be fine as it is rated for a 40 watt bulb and the one I have in is only a 32 watt. Care to elaborate as to why it would shorten the bulb's life span (not that it would really matter as T8s are a dime a dozen at big box hardware stores)? Will it damage the ballast?

It is a size specification. It will say on the box/bulb.

Thanks!

blert said:
Nevermind, I did a quick search and found that, though it does work, the 32 watt T8 bulbs are trying to be driven at the 40 watts of a T12 (should have realized that myself without searching). They will burn hotter which lessens the life span. It doesn't hurt the ballast though, from what I have read. But, like I said before, T8 are cheap so it is not really a big deal for me.

Shucks, beat me too it.

Putting a T8 bulb in a T12 ballast will harm the bulb. Putting a T12 bulb in a T8 fixture (if you even can) would hurt the ballast.

aqua_chem said:

Well, at least there's a solution, even if it's not the best solution. Thank you for your help.

So, I went light shopping today... It was pretty disappointing. I tried finding a T8 bulb that was higher than 20W but unfortunately for a 24 inch light the highest wattage I could find was 17W. I went to both pet stores and home-depot. I ended up getting another T12 20W bulb. At least it lights evenly. Is this going to allow plants to grow well? Are there any other alternatives other than buying a new hood? And if I were to buy another hood, would a T5 HO light be too much for my recently started tank with only a few plants in it until I get more established?

Back
Top Bottom