Lighting question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i bought a 60 gallon tank and want to really get more into the planted side. I have been playing around with pretty low light plants with success but want to look more into the medium/high light side of things.

I know this will require ferts/co2 but im not interested in that right now.

MARINELAND® 60 Gallon Heartland Aquarium Ensemble | Aquariums | PetSmart

This is the tank i got, it has 2 hoods with 18in bulb fixtures and is 24in tall.

I have a lifeglo on a different tank im pretty happy with but the 18in lifeglo bulbs are only like 15watts. its single bulb fixtures and being that deep i feel like the par (i think thats what it is) is going to be pretty crap.

Yes i realize the fixtures are not great but i don't have an extra hundred+ dollars to spend right now to get something better.

The problem is looking around i just see so many different makers and types, i know i don't want anything lower then like 5500k correct? But with how tall the tank is as well as it only having 2 bulbs in total i don't really know what the best bet would be.Eventually i would like a T5HO fixture but thats at least probably 6 months out possibly more and i want something that will make due for right now.

So what are my options here for some nice plant growing bulbs?

Maybe a single finnex fixture could get you into medium light? Not really an expert on this stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just get the 6500k full spectrum tubes. You're going to be stuck at low light in that tank unless you spend big on a fixture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that it is likely going to happen anytime particularly soon but which LED fixture would be best suited for this tank?

Bare in mind i would like to grow medium light plants, if i have an idea of cost i can start putting some $ aside, few bucks here few bucks their.

Also, for the time being is their any brand that has a better full spectrum bulb that any other? Or all basically the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom