Lighting questions?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danf310

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I have been TRYING to figure out and understand how lighting works with aquatic plants. I have done extensive research and everybody has different and contradicting things to say. I just want to know what kind of lighting I have (high, medium, low etc.) and what are my options plant wise.

Currently I have a 20 gallon tall with two 18" strip bulbs, these are their specifications:

Lumens = 675
Watts = 15
Kelvin = 9325 degrees

Right now I have wisteria in the tank, as well as Anacharis, El nino fern, java fern and moss, a dwarf lily, and Christmas moss. I dose with flourish excel every week and unfortunately I have no co2 yet.. =/

I have been thinking of getting carpeting plants, is my light source sufficient enough if I were to install a co2 system?

You're tank is low light but still ok for growing plants. I'd get bulbs that are in the 5500-6700K spectrum next time you need to replace them.

Carpeting plants will be hard to grow with those lights. If you can get a light fixture that uses two regular screw-in type bulbs and fit in some 20w+ CFLs and get a co2 setup you will be better equipped to grow a nice ground cover.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom