Lighting upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoutylad22

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I'm looking into upgrading my aquarium lighting. I currently have a juwel single 15w tube which is built into the hood. I was thinking about LED's. Can anybody recommend a good LED lighting unit?

I have the Current USA Orbit Marine and I absolutely love it. The ramp timer and cloud cover simulation help my fish feel as if they are in the wild and my plants have never grown so much.

Before we can recommend an LED fixture we need to know a few things like budget, size of tank, and goals for the tank (i.e. low, medium, high light?). CO2 or no CO2?

I have the finnex planted +. I love it. Good price and good light

What plants could the current USA orbit freshwater grow

Before we can recommend an LED fixture we need to know a few things like budget, size of tank, and goals for the tank (i.e. low, medium, high light?). CO2 or no CO2?

Hi, I'm looking at spending no more than £100. I'd like something to make the tank stand out a bit more. The tank measure L61cm x H46.5cm x D31cm. I currently have low light plants in the tank and they are doing just fine with the light I've got. I don't have a CO2 set up. All I have used feed the plants is API root tabs and seachem flourish comprehensive. Should I be using anything else?

Hi, I'm looking at spending no more than £100. I'd like something to make the tank stand out a bit more. The tank measure L61cm x H46.5cm x D31cm. I currently have low light plants in the tank and they are doing just fine with the light I've got. I don't have a CO2 set up. All I have used feed the plants is API root tabs and seachem flourish comprehensive. Should I be using anything else?

If you plan on keeping just low light plants, I would keep the light you have. If you plan on getting higher light plants, I would recomend using the Finnex Planted+ or Ray2. You can find the fixtures on eBay.

If you plan on keeping just low light plants, I would keep the light you have. If you plan on getting higher light plants, I would recomend using the Finnex Planted+ or Ray2. You can find the fixtures on eBay.

Hi there, I checked out the finnex planted + and they seem really good judging by the reviews. I can get them from amazon shipped from the us for £65 which is a good price I think ?

Ok so I've done a lot of research on these Finnex LED's and I'm not sure what the correct light fixture I should go for. It's either the Finnex FugeRay Planted (24in) + or Finnex Ray2 LED Daylight (24in)

The planted+ has a total of 17.8W. The Ray2 has a total of 20W. My tank depth is just over 18 inches and the depth of my substrate is about 4 inches. Can anybody give me some help as to which light fixture I should go for?

I have the panted plus on my 20 tall and it is setting my plants off!! I really like it! The added moonlight can be run in unison with main lights giving your plants and fish a richer look... The planted plus also has some reds going which the ray 2 does not..

Hi there, I checked out the finnex planted + and they seem really good judging by the reviews. I can get them from amazon shipped from the us for £65 which is a good price I think
The guys/gals here can give you more details on the specs of these lights but remember you will probably need a transformer and plug adaptor for the different voltage/HZ/plugs that we run over here. A transformer for a light like the ones suggested wouldn't cost much, maybe £20-£40. Research and get a good brand(not cheap Ebay models). You don't want it to be a fire hazard, not a nice extra feature!!!
PS....check Ebay.com and Ebay.co.uk too, sometimes cheaper than Amazon

I have the panted plus on my 20 tall and it is setting my plants off!! I really like it! The added moonlight can be run in unison with main lights giving your plants and fish a richer look... The planted plus also has some reds going which the ray 2 does not..

Hi Brookster123, thanks for the advice. Think I'm going to go with the planted plus ?

The guys/gals here can give you more details on the specs of these lights but remember you will probably need a transformer and plug adaptor for the different voltage/HZ/plugs that we run over here. A transformer for a light like the ones suggested wouldn't cost much, maybe £20-£40. Research and get a good brand(not cheap Ebay models). You don't want it to be a fire hazard, not a nice extra feature!!!
PS....check Ebay.com and Ebay.co.uk too, sometimes cheaper than Amazon

Hi ian086, thanks for bringing up the transformer issue. I emailed amazon.com to ask these questions and customer services got back to me and said that the light would run on our electrics but I would need a plug adaptor. No mention of a transformer needed. I've just this minute sent a email to finnex to confirm all this. Just waiting on a reply now.

Hi ian086, thanks for bringing up the transformer issue. I emailed amazon.com to ask these questions and customer services got back to me and said that the light would run on our electrics but I would need a plug adaptor. No mention of a transformer needed. I've just this minute sent a email to finnex to confirm all this. Just waiting on a reply now.
No problem. Maybe one of the guys/gals could confirm this for you. They just need to check the box or driver(if they have one). Brookster might be able to confirm this for you, even with the time difference he's probably online. I don't think he sleeps....haha

No problem. Maybe one of the guys/gals could confirm this for you. They just need to check the box or driver(if they have one). Brookster might be able to confirm this for you, even with the time difference he's probably online. I don't think he sleeps....haha

Thanks again. I'll put it out there to see if anybody give me a bit more info on the voltage and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom