Lights LED or Bulb for low to mid light plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anelson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok folks so I have been fish keeping for a little while now and I like to think I know a fair amount. But I need to know more about lighting! What lights and specs should I use for a 29 gallon with low to mid light plants

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I did well for 9 months with a plain old Marineland 29 gallon led hood running a long photoperiod (12 hours). In a bright room.

The light in the hood is also sold separately so now I have two on a glass lid. They just sit there simply and unobtrusively.

But two and a glass lid are close to $100 so doing that from the get go isn't a great value. It worked for me because the hinge on the hood broke and buying one light plus a glass lid was less than other methods of bumping up the light and covering the tank.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I used a gutted 29g hood, single fluorescent hood to a diy fixture. worked great all the way until I went led.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425191004468.jpg
    1425191004468.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 64
My tank looked like this with it.

Attachments

• 1425191535195.jpg
    1425191535195.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 64
My tank looked like this with it.

HOLY PLANTS!

I would go with an Aqueon Modular LED if you have a glass top, they are cheap and with 3 tubes very bright, easy med light.

If you want something better the Finnex planted+, Fluval or Marineland Planted tank light are all good, or a BML.

HOLY PLANTS!

I would go with an Aqueon Modular LED if you have a glass top, they are cheap and with 3 tubes very bright, easy med light.

If you want something better the Finnex planted+, Fluval or Marineland Planted tank light are all good, or a BML.

Dude no, that is a horrible recommendation that thing would be low light on a puddle growing mosquito larvae. It may be best to give Advice based off products you've actually used and are comfortable reviewing. PM sent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dude no, that is a horrible recommendation that thing would be low light on a puddle growing mosquito larvae. It may be best to give Advice based off products you've actually used and are comfortable reviewing. PM sent.

I absolutely love your reactions, they are 100% priceless.

But I completely agree with brookster. Aqueon's fixtures are a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, wasn't much help before.. I'm going to say my new generic statement.. buy right, buy once.. the current pro or ecoexotic offer great spectrum, plenty of power and fully dimmable. It's nice to have the power there if/when you take it to the next level rather than have to buy a new light. That's what happened when I had to upgrade my stupid, crappy, over priced aqueon modular led after 4 months. Finnex should be releasing it's new 24/7 model soon. Could be worth waiting for. Brian_Nano12g is reviewing it in his thread now.

I absolutely love your reactions, they are 100% priceless.

But I completely agree with brookster. Aqueon's fixtures are a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 30" grows stuff ine in my 29g, I actually had to take out one strip and only run 2 because I was getting algae everywhere.

Similar Question

I am in a similar boat as the OP.

I have a 20 Long that I am trying to grown some low to mid light plants in. I am not looking to do CO2 at this point.

I am running a single Florasun 24inch bulb on for 8 hours/day which is ok but I am thinking I want to make a jump to a better light if a jump is worth making.

Would the Finnex Planted+ be a decent way to go?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Similar Question

I am in a similar boat as the OP.

I have a 20 Long that I am trying to grown some low to mid light plants in. I am not looking to do CO2 at this point.

I am running a single Florasun 24inch bulb on for 8 hours/day which is ok but I am thinking I want to make a jump to a better light if a jump is worth making.

Would the Finnex Planted+ be a decent way to go?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom