live plants in a tall tank, lighting???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishluvr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the process of converting what was once an Oscar tank into a more relaxing tank (thanks to Isabel and a week without power). I'm looking for some advice on lighting a 120gal XH (just over 24" tall)...the more 'experienced' at the lfh have told me not to do it/it can't, or shouldn't, be done.

What I'm looking for are lighting suggestions. My goal is mid-range lighting (for Aponogetons, Cryptocornes) and up (so I might be able to get an African Tiger Lotus, or other centerpiece).

I'm currently considering two 2x96 watt Bright Kits from ahsupply (slightly angled/overlapping in the middle for the centerpiece). Will this be adequate? ...any suggestions?

Two 96 watt kits would not be bad and should give you enough light for the most of the species you have listed. The other way to go would be with MH lights. Or you could go with 55 watt kits run front to back and use the great GE 9325k bulbs.

Another way to handle a tall tank is to build terraces. That is what I did in my 55, creating a cave below, and a piece of slate with fluorite on it, and planted it, so the plants there are only about 12" from the surface. You can build terraces along the back, on one side, or whatever.

Or you could go with 55 watt kits run front to back and use the great GE 9325k bulbs.

Is this a kit from AHS?

Okay...I'm pretty well settled on the lighting (might even try to add in my old Perfecto SHO light...after disassembly), but I'll be building a custom full hood for this...Will I need fans to cool down under the hood (it will be completely covered/enclosed except for the back)? I have no idea what heat is put off by the Bright Kits...

I've got some time to figure this all out (for a change) while I build my cabinet stand...but I need as much info as posible before building the hood.

Back
Top Bottom