Log of a future (ok, a long time in the future!) 50 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I am planning to set up a 50 gallon planted tank in my room. But this will be a LONG time from now, as i am going to have to save up. I want it to be high light, with pressurized CO2. How many watts with power compacts should I be looking for to make it high light? And what substarte should i use? Gravel mixed with ________? Its going to have a RENA XP3 filter, so i will be over filtering. (its rated for 175 gallons...)Either two 100 watt heaters or two 150 watts, im not sure. As for CO2, i think ive got it figured out. Im going to use one of the JBJ regulators because it seem eaiser.... :p But is there somewhere you can ge ttehn other than EBAY, im in Canada, so ebay can be little hard, since most sellers are in the USA. I have no idea about regulators, mabye someone could tell me of some good ones?

If I were you I'd use Eco-Complete for substrate, start with low to medium light, no Co2 (get you feet wet and upgrade to high light and Co2 when you have the money). Get one 300Watt heater, inline or in tank. (That two undersized heater thing doesn't work well)

The power compacts and regulator...I'm not your guy.

you are gonna want about 150-200 wats for high light. THIS would be a good light. i dont know is u have a 48" or 36" length. as for co2 u might want to try www.aquariumplants.com and find there co2 section. they also have a canadian based market so u can get a regulator off them for a decent price. but i have heard good and bad about there regulators. u can use www.petsandponds.com to pricematch all of www.bigalsonline.com prices(make sure u go to the canadian side of big als) i am in canada aswell so i understand your not wanting to use abay. pets and ponds is a great site and u can get pretty much anything that bigals carries. if u dont see it on there site email them and ask for the product u want. HERE is a decent co2 regualtor for a good price. i also suggest eco compelte for substarte or mostly eco then maybe a a bag or to of black sand(assuming the sand is cheaper then the eco) and i think 1 heater is much better. make sure u check out all the prices on pets and ponds. call big als and u can get everything 5 percent cheaper.

Ha! I thought you meant a wood log, and this was going to be a prepping thread asking how to sink/treat/attach it. :)

I second the Eco Complete...don't mix it with anything. It looks great and you don't have to rinse! My crypts have taken off after switching to Eco. :)

Back
Top Bottom